Unison Build: sub for 1N5817?

sethwitz

Hi all, I realized that I just ran out of 1N5817s while making my Unison Double Tracker. Is it okay to sub in a different component such as a 1N4001?

The 4001 will likely work, however, there will be a larger voltage drop on the supply thru a 4001. The 1N5817 is a Schottky device and extols a much lower voltage drop and is the preferable choice. A 1N5818 would also work.

You could just jumper it if you trust yourself to only ever use the correct power supply.

Also I think you wouldn’t notice any difference with the 4001. The headroom in this pedal is already limited to 3.3V by the fv-1, so the analog part of the circuit will be way above that even with the higher voltage drop of the 4001.

Adapters are either center positive or center negative. Guitar pedals are standardized to accept center negative. The diode protects the pedal if you accidentally plug in a center positive polarity. But any power supply marketed for guitar pedals will be center negative, I don’t think I’ve ever had a 9v center positive in my guitar area, so mixing up isn’t really a concern, but I always add the diode just out of practice

Use the 4001 before jumpering. The fix for the mistake of wrong voltage/polarity is too much to risk.
Idk if the error damage would make it to the fv-1(rev polarity would) but if it did, the thing is borked. Not like an analog pedal where youre probably just put a few caps and maybe a 50 cent opamp.

Adapters are either center positive or center negative. Guitar pedals are standardized to accept center negative. The diode protects the pedal if you accidentally plug in a center positive polarity. But any power supply marketed for guitar pedals will be center negative, I don’t think I’ve ever had a 9v center positive in my guitar area, so mixing up isn’t really a concern, but I always add the diode just out of practice
I’ve had a few. And a few 9vac adapters as well. More common before folks went with standard 1/8” phone plug vs the cheapo “boss” style connector, but there have been a few center positives that I’ve run into over the years…. So I’d just say: “never assume”

Back