Valhalla Distortion

Yes. The POWER output is always on. It's intended to direct drive a power amp, using the Valhalla as the preamp. The POWER output is also louder and has a little more presence. The stomp switch acts as a KILL switch when using the POWER output.

Last edited:
@Chuck D. Bones So if you have the time. And to further my education as I’m still learning . Could you indulge me and clarify exactly what is being accomplished with this part of the Valhalla circuit? My limited understanding is R23 in raising the impedance, R24 and c19 are filtering the signal so you aren’t driving the front of the amp (preamp circuit)to hard? And the pwr out is a lower impedance and will have more “presence” due to the unfiltered signal? If I’m way off base let me know.. 2EFC5287-F3F7-4E0A-BDFB-2B0C1B232558.jpeg

You are correct.

How about we look at it right-side up? The VOL control is pretty straightforward. Some pedal builders install the volume or gain control "backwards." It still works, but has a different taper when used that way. The POWER output comes straight off of the VOL control. R23 & R24 reduce the signal a little and raise the output impedance for the benefit of the next pedal or amplifier preamp input. R23, R24 & C19 roll off the treble above 1.2KHz. PCBOUT and OUT1 go to the stomp switch. OUT2 goes to the OUT jack.
1625508220434.png

Thanks Chuck! So it’s a voltage divider and the cap is shunting the A/C to ground which acts as a LPF ?

Very nice! How does it sound. Does it get the Tool “Jonez Tonez”?
I finished one recently..it sounds really good! Haven’t played it much yet but It seems like it should do that pretty easily. It dials in pretty quick, I didn’t have to fiddle with it much at all.

Well that's pretty boring. Maybe poke a stick around in it....you know, loosen up something.

Great build...sorry I missed it first time around (and looks like the 2nd time as well)!

Thanks for bumping @NickC ...and very nice tonez!

LOL.....oh, my 1st builds wasn't at all...i made every noobie mistake and then some, destroyed PCB's with the wrong iron..gheez

But the fine Forum members here answered my questions and helped me ...awesome people here !

Its nice tho...building and firing up a pedal and ...wow ...no gremlins !

Its Alive ! LOL

Mike

Reactions: fig
Back