Vibrobot distortion

Diynot

Calling @DGWVI and @Mentaltossflycoon and anyone else who might have thoughts. Mkay, not the reason I thought I was going to open this thread, but while my vibrobot is trem-ing, it has some distortion/fuzziness on the signal. After chasing rabbits before lifting pin 6 I am 99% sure of parts values. During the no trem witch hunt I also have reflowed joints, cleaned the board, the voltages look good, the ICs aside from the 8038, that I got from Robert, came from Mouser, I have messed with the trimpot, but can’t get the signal clean. Obligatory board pics in case I missed something and also a vid for listening purposes. My initial suspicion would have been the TLC2262 except with the depth all the way down the clean is clean. I guess that leaves the 741, 8038, or the 2N7000, but are those actually seeing/producing an audio signal? The vid was made using my p-90 loaded Reverend in the bridge position, but I also tried with my tele and although there is less, the distortion is still present.
IMG_4640.jpeg
IMG_4637.jpeg

Last edited:
That's a bummer, I wish I had something helpful to offer but I do not. Mine just had a little grit to the sine/saw setting that I easily dialed out with the trimmer. It never had anywhere near that much dirt.

Last edited:
I had this issue with both I've built, solved with adjusting the trimpots. It's a very small window to hit, so gotta go kinda slow with it

It's been a while, but I also kinda recall having to audition mosfets on one of em
Good to know. I have tried to dial in the trim and it is a very tiny % of rotation from no trem to quiet muffled trem to louder, clearer, but still noisy trem, back to clean. Maybe I should try using a multi turn trimmer…🤔. Did you still use a 2n7000, or a different one altogether?

Good to know. I have tried to dial in the trim and it is a very tiny % of rotation from no trem to quiet muffled trem to louder, clearer, but still noisy trem, back to clean. Maybe I should try using a multi turn trimmer…🤔. Did you still use a 2n7000, or a different one altogether?
Pretty certain I used 2n7000, but may have used bs170

I guess that leaves the 741, 8038, or the 2N7000, but are those actually seeing/producing an audio signal?
A multi turn may help, but to answer your question -- while these parts aren't directly in the signal path, the definitely affect the signal path. All of the suspect parts you listed could be introducing the distortion, but you can eliminate them by adjusting the depth control. If you get distortion at both ends of the depth control, these semiconductors are not your problem, which just leaves the TLC262. If you only get the distortion with the depth control engaged, then any of them could be the problem, with the 2N7000 being the first place to start.

A multi turn may help, but to answer your question -- while these parts aren't directly in the signal path, the definitely affect the signal path. All of the suspect parts you listed could be introducing the distortion, but you can eliminate them by adjusting the depth control. If you get distortion at both ends of the depth control, these semiconductors are not your problem, which just leaves the TLC262. If you only get the distortion with the depth control engaged, then any of them could be the problem, with the 2N7000 being the first place to start.
Yeah, signal is clean with the depth/mix down so it’s something in that LFO(?) block. I may (shudder) put in a socket to try different mosfets. The 741 was swapped in previous troubleshooting efforts so don’t think it’s that.

Tested all the 2n7000 I had, all with more or less the same result. Can dial it out enough to be ok with single coils, but anything else is grit city. It’s not an unpleasant grit, just not what you want on a trem per se

Coincidentally the Frantone product writeup for the Vibutron says "Designed with the single coil player in mind" ...

I wonder if the MOSFET is clipping the signal, similar to how they're used as clipping diodes in the Zendrive/OCD/etc...
She does seem to play a lot of Strat for her demos…… it’s not an unpleasant clipping and if you are using od anyways, meh?

Back
Top Bottom