Which cab sim to use?

mcluff

Preferences on Emu vs. Runoffgroove vs. UniCab?

Just want to get a good signal from my pedalboard/amp/line-out combo into Logic without having to load sims in the software. Right now the signal is very low and tinny.

[Current setup: vintage Fender amp with a Bray Line-out box into a Focusrite Scarlett.]

I use the UniCab and I think it's great. I might try some of the others eventually but it does all the things I want it to right now. The manual https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1044681/Dsm-Omnicabsim.html actuall has some pretty good info in it.

I think part of the fun of having a setup that's more modular like this is that it allow you to experiment. Right now my drive sections is a Mercurial boost-SD 1-modded Rat-Shika fuzz-UniCab. I have a few cab sims that I will build and experiment with but I don't find myself really missing them. The Mercurial gives you a ton of control over the mids and the Unicab gives you a decent amount of EQ control over the rest. I find often the hardest part of my setup isn't to get a good dirty sound but to get a good clean one and this does that pretty well.

I have only used the unicab and it was pretty decent, I personally think Software is the way to go for Cab sims But as a physical pedal DIY option the Unicab handles the job well. I planned on building one again just as another weapon in the arsenal.

Preferences on Emu vs. Runoffgroove vs. UniCab?

Just want to get a good signal from my pedalboard/amp/line-out combo into Logic without having to load sims in the software. Right now the signal is very low and tinny.

[Current setup: vintage Fender amp with a Bray Line-out box into a Focusrite Scarlett.]
I haven’t tried the UniCab or Runoffgroove, but I built the EMU. I thought I would have been able to get some clean tones, but I was wrong. It is just like a dirt pedal.

Back