Unicab/ROG Cabsim question....

MichaelW

Hey guys,

Quick question.

Does anyone know if either of these pedals can take a line level input as opposed to instrument level?

I just ordered a new amp that has a DI Line out with a resistive load to run without a cab. But there's no cab sim on that signal, it's just a tap off the output tranny.

In my quest to have an "as DIY as possible" signal chain before my interface, I ordered both boards to build a cab sim pedal to put between the amp line out and my digital interface. Then I got to thinking about whether these projects will work that way if they're designed as instrument input pedals.

My other option is to buy a commercial cab sim with a line in option like the Torpedo CAB-M+.
I'd prefer not to use software IR's if possible.

I think the concern is: would the line output cause the pedal circuitry to clip, correct?

Is there a volume control for the line output? If so you could just reduce volume if the pedal is clipping.

If there’s no volume control for the line output, you could simply setup a knob or trimmer wired as a volume control on the input of the pedal.

You could also consider running the cab sim at 18V to increase headroom, either from an18v supply or installing a charge pump circuit.

Yes, there's a line out level control on the amp. I was thinking more about impedance issues. Maybe I'm overthinking it.

The cab sim is pretty versatile and I doubt if the impedance is much of an issue with it riding near the end of the signal chain in most setups. Indulge your inner builder and give it a try. : ^ )

The cab sim is pretty versatile and I doubt if the impedance is much of an issue with it riding near the end of the signal chain in most setups. Indulge your inner builder and give it a try. : ^ )
my "inner builder" doesn't need much more indulgence than it already gets......heh....

Having said that I already have both boards winging there way here from PPCB HQ. I'm going to try them both.
My amp is still over a month out so I have some time...

Michael, there's a few other options beyond the Omni and Condor that you'll be building.

- OMNI
- AMTS1
- DISTORQUE’s Speaker Sim VERO
- LXH2 Lite FENDER Speaker Simulator DIY-PCB-ETCH (also a Marshall version)
- YERAYM's CAB SIM
- Celestian G12H Sim
- ROG Cab Sim — discrete; Simple Sim by Joe Davison “nEARful”
- Stoned Tone Bulldog Cab Sim
- Cab Sim/Headphone Amp/Audio Mixer by Aron Nelson
- Marshall Cab Sim
- BOSS Speaker Simulator TM-3 SCHEMATIC
- Cab Freq simulator SCHEMATIC
- LART CAB SIM schematic (NOT the simple cab sim 2) RcvNTxaP_o
- HEXE ::: SE33 Guitar Speaker Simulator https://oshpark.com/profiles/hexeguitar
- DMS OCS (DIY project, precursor to the Omni commercial project)
- https://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/kit-tt-cab-sim-di.html
- ASTROSIM Deadastronaut FX
- GT2 sansamp clone looks good too…http://www.circuitfx.com/gt2-pcb-rotary-switch/ I found a schematic with improvements, too.
- Award Sessions/Morley JD10, found a DIY PCB for it
- INDUCTION’s HYBRID TH/SMD MSRE (Marshall Speaker Response Emulation)
Suggestion: Build MSRE as FX loop, shove whatever MIAB pedal you want in it.​

DIYSB Thread “Any Speaker Sim worth Building?”

Mods & BASS version of Speaker sim

We'll expect full build reports on all those over the next, say two weeks — accounting for PCBs being shipped, but you can build the vero/perf stuff whilst waiting for the PCBs.

Back