Who's down for some SMD layouts?

Nice!
You do that all with the little hot plate? You also use a hot air gun on top? Gotta link to paste?
Yes, that was using the little aluminum plate above. I’ve got a Quick brand hot air gun (the Pace x-tractor is nice but pricey). I’ll try to do a video using the plate….just make a mental note that the board is HOT and you do not need to touch it.

I’ll see where the paste is from….it is Kester in a syringe

The flux pen is Kester 186 and the paste is Kester EP256. The melt-point is 361ºF which seems to work well with this little plate that heats to 400ºF (minus a few º for contact instability). I don't see the pcb warping at that temp.

I've read good things about ChipQuick paste. I may pick some up and see how it stacks...if anyone else has suggestions,
fire away.

Here's an 0805 on a HUGE plectrum for scale!

QlaF7T9.jpg

Last edited:
The easiest way is a stencil that is designed specifically for the PCB you're working with. (although not the most economical for one-offs)

I should have a generic FV-1 IC stencil made though, that's one application that would definitely benefit.
You could put it and maybe a couple common ones like transistors and 8 dip on one stencil

Last edited:
Reactions: fig
Oh shit, I didn’t even think about the troubleshooting section.

Maybe there needs to be an agreement that if any of us fuck it up and a build doesn’t work you are on your own 😂

I've already adopted this rule which is why my mini het is in "the cardboard box we don't talk about when assessing the cost of pedal building with my wife" and I built the full size instead.

Anyone have a recommend for stencils? I've seen quite a spread so any direction is appreciated.
Like a source for ordering, or tips for using? I always ordered mine from JLCPCB, I typically put 6 designs on one stencil since the smallest stencil is still huge. They're only about $8 if I remember right, but obviously they add to the shipping cost, especially if you get them with a frame (which I ABSOLUTELY recommend).

I'm always disappointed when I go to recommend a neat tool to someone and the price has gone up dramatically. I got one of these for my birthday a couple years ago, but it was a little less than $200 shipped then. WAY easier than hot air station or hot plate.

https://www.amazon.com/Happybuy-Soldering-Machine-Infrared-Automatic/dp/B01LZYEF90/

Like a source for ordering, or tips for using? I always ordered mine from JLCPCB, I typically put 6 designs on one stencil since the smallest stencil is still huge. They're only about $8 if I remember right, but obviously they add to the shipping cost, especially if you get them with a frame (which I ABSOLUTELY recommend).

I'm always disappointed when I go to recommend a neat tool to someone and the price has gone up dramatically. I got one of these for my birthday a couple years ago, but it was a little less than $200 shipped then. WAY easier than hot air station or hot plate.

https://www.amazon.com/Happybuy-Soldering-Machine-Infrared-Automatic/dp/B01LZYEF90/
Cool....Who'd have thought pedal-building would evolve to an Easy-Bake oven!

I may have to try one, thanks !

Anyone have recommendations for improving ability to see what you're doing? head set magnifiers (which version,? brand?) or microscope? camera? etc?

Specifics please .... I've browsed thru all the millions of gadgets on amazon and it just makes me more confused.

Anyone have recommendations for improving ability to see what you're doing? head set magnifiers (which version,? brand?) or microscope? camera? etc?

Specifics please .... I've browsed thru all the millions of gadgets on amazon and it just makes me more confused.
I have been using these for about a year and I like them: MagniVisor Deluxe Head Visor/Magnifier https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B007CDJKM2/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_NBVNV8Z53THBMEWG0YNS

It works well for me with the 1.5x and I wear it almost constantly while building because I have bad eyes and it is super handy to just be able to swing it down. The higher magnification lenses all work well, but the issue is how close you need to be to what you're working on in order to be able to focus, so I probably won't use them for SMD. I think I'll have to get a lighted magnifying glass on an arm for that.

Reactions: fig
Back