Wire question

tdukes

I am tired of the insulation on the tayda wire running from the heat. Does anyone know of a easily available, inexpensive wire to order instead? I have been using the solid 22.

Thanks

Yeah I love it... I’ve been using it over a year now and I never looked back... you’re soldering iron won’t melt it...

Man I like it way better than any wire I’ve ever used... its stranded... so I’d think solid would conduct better... but I’ve never had a problem with it... the main reason I like it is in cramped spaces you don’t have to worry about your soldering iron touching it... the silicon insulator doesn’t melt... but I saw someone taking about it on a forum somewhere and I gave it a try and I’ll never use anything else...

I use 24 I think... 22 or 24... I’m not sure if it’s pre-bonded... Its not stiff like the small bear wire... it is maluable though...

First, you can use a small clip or foreceps on the insulated part of your wire to protect it from melting when you are soldering it to a board or to a component. The foreceps (locking clamp) are pretty cheap from amazon or ebay, and they make it easy to keep the wire where you want it to be without heating up your fingers. I also use the foreceps a lot if I need to hold onto a part I am desoldering. Second, I like the bonded stranded hookup wire from guitarpcb.com It is not cheap, but a few feet of wire will go a long way for these projects.

I get my wire from Smallbear and I like it because it's prebonded. I think it is similar to the GuitarPCB wire.

I would just add that Striveday has been inconsistent with supplying silicone insulated wire and have as of late, been providing "normal" hook up wire... Sad, I really dug the feel and look of the silicone.

My wire showed up. It looks and feels different and the insulation is labelled silicon. I let the soldering iron get hot enough to easily melt solder and held it against the insulation. 5 to 10 seconds left no mark. This definitely behaves differently than what I have been using from Tayda. I don't have anything going right now, but there's stuff in the mail. I'll have to wait to see how it is in real use.

The 22 gauge stranded doesn't work well with the veroboard I have. It is too large. The other issue I had was solder wicking past the insulation and making the wire stiff. I ordered 22 gauge solid and it fits the veroboard. I would have tried the 24 gauge stranded if it weren't for the stiffness caused by the solder wicking. I haven't tried the 22 stranded for pcb hookup yet.

Back