Woodpecker

JRobb310

Is there any mods that anyone has done to the woodpecker to take out the JFET boost? Just curious. Open to suggestions.

Are there any mods?

If I understand correctly the JFET is distorting when you play harder...

Stick a pot on the input and reduce what you're feeding the tremolo, then you'll have/need/want/use the JFET to restore unity-volume and it won't distort as much.

You could also try reducing the JFET's gain by increasing R3 and decreasing R4, one or the other or a bit of both.

Go hog wild and try and make the JFET a BJT as per the original circuit, ie the Vox Repeat Percussion. I don't know if you'll get any less gain, though.

Since engaging a Tremolo often results in a perceived volume drop, I don't see why you'd want to remove the JFET from the circuit entirely. The circuit needs some kind of make-up gain, is it not something that should not/could not be removed?

The mod I'd do is add another on-off-on to SW-1's C7 or C8 and mess with some extreme values ala Moosapotamus' Skippy — 47uF! Then change out the B100k rate pot for C100k. Add another input cap on a pot for a rudimentary tone control... replace the 1uF with 47n and have the pot blend in a 2u2.

Have fun with it!

Thanks! I think I may try to replace R4 with a trim and adjust it.
You should be around 6.5v on the Drain as is.
If you use a Trimmer, you will need a 50K.
It's a Clean Boost so changing the voltage to the Jfet will more than likely mean cranking or reducing the Volume knob to compensate & still have what you have now.
You could try removing one leg of R4 & trying a temporary off board potentiometer and run 2 wires to each pad of R4 to see if it does what you want.
If you use this method & you dial it in to where you like it, Just remove the Temp Pot without knocking it & measure the resistance & just replace the Resistor to match.

Cheers music6000

Back