The Raincoat for all you perverts.

jjjimi84

This one has been a long time coming but kept getting pushed back, damn you BOTY..... I thought it is a great time to let everyone hear what a Raincoat sounds like especially with the new fuzz module coming along. In this video I play some Pink Floyd, talk about "the talk" and then compare it to another PedalPCB pedal the flugelhorn. Enjoy perverts.

sIX2uMwl.jpg

6fmUTaRl.jpg

W4uIhkpl.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent and great entertainment with story time! "Let's get into it baby, it's a Big Muff..." "It's muffy, right..."
Dunno if that line was intended but it hits the mark of the fun graphics for sure. That yellow green burst is awesome too!

Reactions: fig
I appreciate all of the kind words, I really wanna hear everyones “the talk” stories. That kind of stuff is priceless.

Excellent and great entertainment with story time! "Let's get into it baby, it's a Big Muff..." "It's muffy, right..."
Dunno if that line was intended but it hits the mark of the fun graphics for sure. That yellow green burst is awesome too!
I wish i could say it was all part of my master plan but i go pretty loose with everything. If I had to follow a script it would be a disaster.

I mean, it’s no “broke dick peanut gallery”, but feel like the 2 should get together…….. very nice job as usual. The only mention of condom use from my dad was to ask me after I got busted post coitus “did you use a condom?” Really dad, what 15yr old walks around with that at the ready? Maybe I would have had the convo arose sooner. Meh

Great Demo, Dan. I listened to it LOUD.

It's a muff, but it's not really a muff. No diodes, no limiting resistors, different tone control. It's so much better than a muff.

I wonder if the difference in tone is down to component tolerances. Can you check the collector voltages on both?

EDIT: I remember now... the Raincoat is sensitive to HFE because there are no limiting resistors other than the SUSTAIN pot. Because there are no limiting resistors, the transistors are current-driven. That means that a higher HFE transistor can hit the next stage harder than a lower HFE transistor. The higher HFE results in a thicker tone and more sustain. 2N5133 and BC549C both have very broad HFE ranges and they mostly overlap. Unless you're hand-selecting transistors, you can't be sure what gain you have on any of them. You may even have a mix of high-gain and not-so-high-gain transistors on the same board.

If you want to try a way-out version of the Raincoat, take a look at this:

https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/quarantine-fuzz-viral-mutation.3229/

The Quarantine Fuzz is a Raincoat / Flugelhorn. I also built a Viral Mutation on a Flugelhorn board.

Last edited:
I consider the white washer to be the condom of the pedal game. It goes over the thing that is touched the most and likely gives some amount of protection adding to one's longevity. Also, everybody HATES them.

Another great demo/build.

I feel like the muff is a bit too squishy in the front of the note to really nail that Gilmour tone, but the demo was great!!

Back