New Relay Bypass Module (Instant Switching)

Normally backorders are too complicated to keep up with, the cart system isn't really designed for it... In this case we're just waiting on more microcontrollers and they'll be here Wednesday so it shouldn't cause too much trouble.

Any chance we'll see the programmed chips as a standalone item in the store?

I never really thought about it. If that's something you'd want it's definitely possible.

It'd be really useful for me. I'd like to make some dedicated PCBs to control 2- and 3-effect multis that I can match up to my layout configuration.

I need to get the updated build docs posted....

Basically just install them like normal but connect them together by the CTRL pad. Then switch the module to Channel Switching mode by holding down the footswitch while applying power (three times).

One other note, there is a 100K resistor on the board. This is only used for Channel Switching mode and you only need one installed. It'll work if you install one on each of the boards, but it's not necessary. You don't need it at all if you don't plan to use Channel Switching mode (for example in a single pedal).

Aahh, that's it then. The docs and the image don't show a CTRL pad. I take it that when you set the mode it stays there thru subsequent power ups until you set it again. I'm trying to picture plugging in the power supply while holding down all the buttons and repeating two more times. Sounds like a 3 Stooges routine.

You don't have to hold them all down together, just set one at a time. This also allows you to remove a circuit from the switching bus for independant operation.

Yep, the setting will persist until you change it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the latest board and was surprised to see it quite different from the build document. Most of my questions were answered above, but I still have a few:

1. What happened to the "old" R2 (47K)? Is it no longer necessary to pull up pin 2 on the ATTINY85?
2. Could you please clarify "Then switch the module to Channel Switching mode by holding down the foot switch while applying power (three times)" - does this mean turning power on and off three times?
3. Would it be possible to connect multiple relays in parallel to pins 6 and 7 on the ATTINY85? Is there a current limitation?

Thanks!

I got the latest board and was surprised to see it quite different from the build document. Most of my questions were answered above, but I still have a few:
1) The 47K pull-up resistor is no longer required. The internal pull-up of the ATTINY is used now.
2) Holding down the footswitch when applying power cycles to the next mode. You would actually do this two times on a stock board to put the board into channel switching mode. (Standard / Auto-Power On / Channel Switching)
3) The ATTINY I/O pins can source up to 40mA. The TQ2-L-5V coil current is rated at 20mA, so two in parallel would be pushing it. I'd also be concerned that flyback voltage from one coil might trigger the other.

Slightly different question:

I'd like to control six of these boards at once with only one momentary switch, no channel switching. Can this be done? If so, is any special isolation required between boards?

I've never tried this, but it might work.

You might want to isolate them using a diode to prevent the pull-up resistors of all six relay modules from being in parallel.

Substitute the wire going from the footswitch to the lower FS pad of each relay module with a signal diode (1N4148, 1N914, etc), anode towards the PCB.

The cathode of all six diodes would connect to the footswitch.

You'd only need to connect the other lug of the footswitch to any one of the PCBs (square FS pad).

You might want to isolate them using a diode to prevent the pull-up resistors of all six relay modules from being in parallel.

Substitute the wire going from the footswitch to the lower FS pad of each relay module with a signal diode (1N4148, 1N914, etc), anode towards the PCB.

You'd only need to connect the other lug of the footswitch to any one of the PCBs (square FS pad).
I'll try it and report back - thanks!

Is it possible to integrate midi with the intelligent relay bypass module? Basically I want the channel switching mode to work as advertised but also for the pedal to respond to midi commands for selecting channels or bypassing the unit. Any idea how to go about it?

Edit: I suppose I could get similar functionality through external switches like for changing an amp channel. Could I get the IRB module to respond to external control voltage?

Last edited:

I’m happy to report that the diode logic works and one can switch multiple boards with only one push button. I’ve also verified operation with a logic pulse in parallel with the push button switch.

Does anyone know why i have to hold the momentary footswitch down for ~2-3 seconds to get the relay to turn on and off the effect? Shouldn't it turn on and off almost instantly? When i quickly depress the footswitch nothing happens at all. When i depress the switch and hold for 2-3 seconds i then hear the relay click on and the effect will stay on. To turn the repeat effect off I have to repeat the process of pressing and hold down the switch and then the relay will disengage.

That's definitely not normal operation. Does the LED blink when you hold down the footswitch?

Back