Best pcb for srv type tones?

drewelicay

Hi, i want to build a pedal that can emulate srv-like tone in a way. My problem is what pcb should it be? Im getting really overwhelmed because of the amount of choices in the pedalpcb website.

Any recommendations?

The six string stinger (vertex steel string clean drive) was marketed to emulate one of the amps SRV used. So maybe try a tubescreamer type set at low gain, high volume into that? (I haven’t tried this, just from a little bit I’ve read about the vertex).

Since SRV reportedly used the TS as a boost (gain knob down, volume knob up), using the TS alone to get all your clipping, into a clean amp, would probably be a different sound/feel.

There is a brand new Pcb called the Lenora (Lenny) that is also supposed to be an SRV sound.
Not positive it’s been released yet but I saw it was coming soon recently.
Might be another arrow in your quiver?

There is a brand new Pcb called the Lenora (Lenny) that is also supposed to be an SRV sound.
Not positive it’s been released yet but I saw it was coming soon recently.
Might be another arrow in your quiver?
Yeah, I've heard about that but I haven't seen a proper demo of lenny by j rockett, but I leaned towards the sss instead of this before.

The lenora and the stinger were my first two choices, and now I'm looking for more options that aren't really known in pcb

As Barry said...that Frost Drive is a highly tweakable Tube Screamer circuit. Maybe a little more involved of a build than some but that’s likely your best bet.
As I’m sure you know, most of that sound comes from Stevie’s picking hand.
I’d say 85% is technique and the last 15% is tone.

I built this using Eyelet Board design, a TS808 with Bass control in 2016.
It Sounds Awesome :
1586216482999.png

Last edited:
As Barry said...that Frost Drive is a highly tweakable Tube Screamer circuit. Maybe a little more involved of a build than some but that’s likely your best bet.
As I’m sure you know, most of that sound comes from Stevie’s picking hand.
I’d say 85% is technique and the last 15% is tone.
If you go that route be sure to look up Chuck D. Bones Ice Scream Sammich post for his mods

I'll have to get my hands on one to check it out. The schematics floating around don't appear to match what is actually in the pedal.

So... from what I saw on fsb... the super six is a single mosfet design, and the super six Stevie mod is a totally different topology op amp design? Why would he give such different circuits the same name???

Back