Gainster PCB?

I think fuzzdog does one in the UK.

Edit - Here you go

I think fuzzdog does one in the UK.

Edit - Here you go

Hmm, that one says it's inspired by the lightspeed?

I think the Red Snapper and Gainster are almost identical. You could build the PPCB Red Herring, or snoop around and find the one or two mods to turn it into the Gainster.

I think the Red Snapper and Gainster are almost identical. You could build the PPCB Red Herring, or snoop around and find the one or two mods to turn it into the Gainster.
It’s weird it says that, the schematic definitely looks like the gainster (except I think the OG gainster uses an 072 and big-ass PIO caps), a bufferless OD-1 with a presence control right?

Oh dang they really are. If someone wants to double-check me, to do a Gainster on the Red Herring Board:

IC1 - JRC072
R2 - 10K
C1 - 100n
C2 - 120p
R6 - 10K
C5 - 2n2
VOLUME - A500K

C4 - OMIT
CUT - replace with a 22K resistor between pins 1 and 3

And you’ve got a Gainster (the “BITE” is the “PRESENCE” control)

Last edited:
It’s weird it says that, the schematic definitely looks like the gainster (except I think the OG gainster uses an 072 and big-ass PIO caps), a bufferless OD-1 with a presence control right?
Hmm, this page says Gainster: Gainer PCB (pedalparts.co.uk).
But this one says Lightspeed: Gainer Drive (pedalparts.co.uk)

And they offer another board that is based on Lightspeed, so must just be a cut-and-paste typo on that web page.

Oh dang they really are. If someone wants to double-check me, to do a Gainster on the Red Herring Board:

IC1 - JRC072
R2 - 10K
C1 - 100n
C2 - 120p
R6 - 10K
C5 - 2n2
VOLUME - A500K

C4 - OMIT
CUT - replace with a 22K resistor between pins 1 and 3

And you’ve got a Gainster (the “BITE” is the “PRESENCE” control)
This looks correct. I have parts on order to build this and will post a report when done. All I've ever built before are AionFX kits so this might take me longer...

However, looking at a model of the Snapper in LTspice I can see why Clark and Browntone thought the Cut wasn't necessary for their pedals - it seems to counter the Presence so you'd have a 3-way juggle (Prs/Cut/Gain) to find your sound.

I don't think the Bite or Cut control really eliminate the usefulness of each other. It's not that far off from the bass and treble controls on the Timmy. The controls were kind of a evolutionary process on these dual op amp IC overdrives if you look at the schematics of similar overdrives.

Red Snapper 1996/1998
Gainster 2001
Zen Drive 2004
Timmy 2004
Hoochee Mama 2011
Mythos Olympus 2021
Barber Fuggedaboutit 2023

I have the Gainster up and running on the breadboard. Side by side with an AionFX Cerulean (Bluesbreaker with switchable clipping and extra gain) it sounds very similar except the Bluesbreaker has a little less bass, and there is a touch more middle in the Gainster. The Gainster clipping is also different to the Bluesbreaker but not by much. I think I will try swapping out a few components to see what the Red Snapper (3 knob) sounds like. I will also compress it more by going to one clipping diode each way.

I tried compressing it more by changing it to one diode each way in the first feedback loop and it made a noticeable change in headroom, but I think I prefer the stock arrangement as it gets a bit too close to a TS. (I see the new Barber clone made this switchable - will have to look at doing that).

I then tried a 10k, 22k (standard Gainster) and 33k (Snapper 3-knob) resistor in the second feedback loop and found 10k lacked bass and 33k had too much, so 22k it is. Looks like Clark knew what they were doing.

I think I'll give this a few days to see if any other options arise and if not I'll build it next week.

Last edited:
I don't think the Bite or Cut control really eliminate the usefulness of each other. It's not that far off from the bass and treble controls on the Timmy. The controls were kind of a evolutionary process on these dual op amp IC overdrives if you look at the schematics of similar overdrives.

Red Snapper 1996/1998
Gainster 2001
Zen Drive 2004
Timmy 2004
Hoochee Mama 2011
Mythos Olympus 2021
Barber Fuggedaboutit 2023
The starting point for all of this is the Boss OD-1.

Back