Aion PCB's

If you don’t like it, don’t buy it.

If there's nothing available anywhere that meets your needs, make it yourself.

This is a complaint without a problem.

And Aion does in fact sell replacement bypass boards.
If you don't like it, stay out of the discussion.
I have heard so many Aion supporters here but they complain about the Footswitch daughter boards.
I can't work out if they like them or hate them!
At least I stand firm and say they are shit!

If you don't like it, stay out of the discussion.
I have heard so many Aion supporters here but they complain about the Footswitch daughter boards
I can't work out if they like them or hate them!
At least I stand firm and say they are shit!
You made your point. I don't see a utility in dragging it out and arguing against people's preferences (which are subjective and cannot be objectively wrong). I'm expressing my opinion the same as everyone else. That is the nature of discourse. "Stay out of the discussion" is not a constructive way to deal with those who do not share your opinion nor is obduracy.

Discussing your preference is fine; disinformation about a company's products on a competitor's forum is certainly a bit gauche. I provided a link to a replacement daughterboard after someone said there are no replacements available (absent context that it was a non-standard daughterboard in that situation). Further, if this is a real problem for folks, have they talked to Aion about it?

Kevin has his product line designed to be streamlined with his kit offerings. Clearly a decision is being made there to prioritize the form of the bypass and power management as well as the grounding scheme. If that doesn't appeal to a consumer, they are not forced to buy the product. Aion's continued growth seems to evince that the product line resonates with consumers. While that may not include you, there are people that are willing to be a customer of his site. So while you may be more inclined to purchase the projects if they were otherwise, it doesn't mean he's wrong to change directions. The 'legacy' boards are still available to buy if that's your preference.

Personally, I prefer refdes on boards—especially with more complicated builds. I find it easier to troubleshoot and reference the schematic while understanding the circuit and integrating modifications. Although I can do that on boards that use values instead of refdes, it involves additional steps.

I think Aion is just trying differentiate himself from the standard bare bones type pcb shop. I appreciate the refinements and additional reference materials. Everyone is going to have their gripes about something or the other. I think the only real controversy is in how the new boards use the stomp switch to anchor additional components. I have personally found this frustrating since it did not allow for adding a second stomp switch for a mod.

This is what feedback is for. If you want change then you have to provide it in a constructive way.

I’ll say, I much prefer having refdes on PCBs instead of component values. Makes modding and troubleshooting a breeze. I don’t mind the PPCB method of having the component values listed, hence the hundred or more PPCB boards I have, but every time I want to mod stuff I need to do way more cross referencing than if it was just the refdes.
I don’t mind them at all. Until you want to use a relay bypass. The you gotta off-board all those components.

View attachment 60707
that’s the one thing Aion really needs— relay boards for sale that are direct drop ins for their typical bypass boards.

I’ll say, I much prefer having refdes on PCBs instead of component values. Makes modding and troubleshooting a breeze.

How do you see them when the board is assembled?

What I'd love is to do it the way consumer electronics manufacturers used to do it.... RefDes on the bottom of the PCB so you can flip it over and follow the circuit without the components in the way.

I’ll say, I much prefer having refdes on PCBs instead of component values. Makes modding and troubleshooting a breeze.

I actually think we have the best of both worlds with PPCB. I like having the component value on the board because it speeds up the build for me – if I have my baggie of, say, 4K7s out, I can look at the board and populate all of the spaces requiring that value, etc.

As far as refdes for troubleshooting, Robert does provide, on the front page of each documentation, a picture of the board with refdes rather than component values. So I just look at that when I’m troubleshooting. Besides, if I’m troubleshooting after I have already populated the board, I’m not even going to be able to see the refdes on the board anymore. (In fact, I always assumed that that was why he put that graphic on the front of the documentation in the first place.)

EDIT - dammit, ninja’d by @Robert AGAIN!

I’ll say, I much prefer having refdes on PCBs instead of component values. Makes modding and troubleshooting a breeze. I don’t mind the PPCB method of having the component values listed, hence the hundred or more PPCB boards I have, but every time I want to mod stuff I need to do way more cross referencing than if it was just the refdes.

that’s the one thing Aion really needs— relay boards for sale that are direct drop ins for their typical bypass boards.
The only thing is that not all his bypass boards are the same.

How do you see them when the board is assembled?
I take a pic of the board beforehand.

I know you often have the refdes version of the board shown in the build doc, but I’ve noticed at least a few that didn’t where I had to check continuity on the board to correlate the footprints to the schematic, and also with revisions and all that, sometimes the board layout shown doesn’t match the version of the PCB I have, in which case the refdes being on the board would make it easier. Of course, that second matter could also be made easier by instead just having an archive section for build docs from older revisions, if that’s in any way possible.

They're usually still available for download by adding ".v1" to the file name, if it exists.

I started an "archived" folder but never remember to use it.
Awesome! I’ll be sure to keep that in mind— so just add that to the very end of the URL?

Back