Aion PCB's

See, if I could build like that...

You and I don't have a problem my friend. Your stuff looks as good as the mock-ups.
Ha Ha, there is a chip in the Coffe table that I take all my pictures from as a reference point.
The only differece will be the pedal with light & shade changes.

Are those green poly caps significantly cheaper / better than the KEMET or WIMA film caps? They take up a lot more real estate which might be a problem with some boards.

Are those green poly caps significantly cheaper / better than the KEMET or WIMA film caps? They take up a lot more real estate which might be a problem with some boards.
They are similar to what the original used & there was space to use them.
They get too large after 47nf so not practical for most builds.
I use box type or MLCC types all the time now!

I’ve made two pedal pcb and one aion.

Aion was their L4 preamp with lots of parts - online builder plan thing and not having values probably slowed me down and made me check everything. Worked first time.
If there were negatives - not a forum like here, though I think I spoke to @Gordo on madbean forum about it….
And because it’s been built as recreating a specific circuit there’s some things I would mod, or put an effects loop mid circuit - but I can’t as the daughtboard puts the power converter in the middle.

Pedal pcb I’ve done the low tide mini and chopshop.
Pcb about the same, had to scour this forum for some of the info to build successful - but, the mini version of the low tide showed Robert had clearly thought through use beyond cloning.

All is good.
Currently working on a pcb I laid out myself - made me appreciate PedalPCB and aion a lot more!!

Here are my Aion builds from 2017 When they were more user friendly to build:

View attachment 60734 View attachment 60735
View attachment 60736 View attachment 60737
I hope AionFX never stops making their “legacy” boards, those are among my go-tos for when I need to fit two 1590B-sized boards in a 1590BBS, no breakout board required on ‘em
Kevin does well for the industry even if you just copy his traces.
110%. And the tracing journals are gold.

I actually used his trace of the Nordland ODR-C to make a board that was compatible with pre-drilled Tayda enclosures and normal offboard wiring 😬

Oh, I forgot one thing about what aion/ppcb can borrow from each other.

Really, I can't overstate what a useful gem this PPCB forum is. It exemplifies the best of the builder community. Many people have got me through some tough troubleshooting times, including music6000. Other places are also very helpful, but this one for me is where I keep coming back to. Hell, I read other people's troubleshooting threads for fun and learnings.

Also, by Aion's useful BOM, I meant the Excel parts list that he publishes. Doesn't have anything to do with assembly, really, it just saves an enormous amount of time for ordering as you can upload it directly to Mouser, and you have the builder specs as a baseline to work with. Saves us a bit of grief as well if we are being lazy, don't check the spec sheets, order electrolytics in the "big-bottom" persuasion, and have to make a crazy chubby capacitor garden on our board. Not that I would know anything about that.

Anyway, I've been meaning to post this for a while: I started building this Aion L5 board just as he released his new version. I just decided to build that instead so I'm not going to finish this one. The big difference is the idiosyncratic power supply (you need to purchase a dedicated wall wart)--which you can read all about it in his build docs. As a way of giving back to this community, if anyone feels like messing with it, I will gladly send it your way. All solder points guaranteed, and annoying daughterboards included. Just PM me, first come, first served, although I will give priority to folks that have taken their time and thought to help me here in the past.

WIN_20231118_09_04_32_Pro.jpg

I think as far as write-ups about pcbs etc - we must remember that this is DIY. How much do we expect from the people who make these PCBs available? We have google! If I see a new PCB and don't know what it is I research it. Doesn't usually take very long.

Let people do what they are good at. Robert is obviously very good at tracing circuits and designing excellent PCBs. I am impressed by the sheer number of PCBs he has made available in the past few years. It seems to me that Robert's strengths are in this area. Why should we demand that he spend time doing things that he is obviously pitifully, woefully, tragically hopeless at, like writing descriptions and build docs? As far as build docs go it's mainly the schematic that most of us need, and we know he can at least draw that! Let Robert concentrate on what he is good at. :)

I think as far as write-ups about pcbs etc - we must remember that this is DIY. How much do we expect from the people who make these PCBs available? We have google! If I see a new PCB and don't know what it is I research it. Doesn't usually take very long.

Let people do what they are good at. Robert is obviously very good at tracing circuits and designing excellent PCBs. I am impressed by the sheer number of PCBs he has made available in the past few years. It seems to me that Robert's strengths are in this area. Why should we demand that he spend time doing things that he is obviously pitifully, woefully, tragically hopeless at, like writing descriptions and build docs? As far as build docs go it's mainly the schematic that most of us need, and we know he can at least draw that! Let Robert concentrate on what he is good at. :)
Yeah, it baffles me how many people ask for BOMs and drill templates. I do need the schematic if it doesn’t fire right up, though.

A reminder that in addition to differences in personal preferences, many of us are at different points along our respective paths. The person that just wants to have cool pedals and can't be bothered with learning to read schematics — I can respect that person and the chosen path even though it's different from my own.

Before I could read a schematic, when I was intimidated by them, I was in the paint by numbers camp but wanted to be in the mod-the-hell out of something camp — so I learned to read schematics. I've encouraged others to learn, but some simply don't want to and that's fine, I get it.
I see some of the gripes in this thread about diss or dat(a) and I see that the person is either on a completely different path trajectory, or hasn't got as far yet, or is wayyyy further along than I am.

FAST & EASY, WHEN DO YOU WANT IT?
You can have a fast build with values on PCB, but modding/troubleshooting will be slow as molasses going uphill in January.
Slower building with REF/DES but much faster & easier modding / troubleshooting

Choose your perks, choose your poison.

Each DIY PCB-supplier company has its strengths and weaknesses — even that unmentionable one: if you need beer-coasters or a lesson in futility, you may be stymied because some of those projects can / do work.

indiana-jones-you-must-choose.gif

there’s only one thing I love more than rats and ring mods…. And that’s MUFF.

What an excellent combo pedal! Why didn't I think of that?
Rat and Muff variants of choice, but which Ring Mod would you choose for this trifecta?

Personally, I prefer refdes on boards—especially with more complicated builds. I find it easier to troubleshoot and reference the schematic while understanding the circuit and integrating modifications. Although I can do that on boards that use values instead of refdes, it involves additional steps.

This is the post that made me realise it comes down to where you want the speed, building stock or modding/troubleshooting.

But I refuse to sing Kumbya. Though it might sound good with a bit of drive...

I can hear/see it now, a thrash-punk speed-metal version of Kumbaya with tons of drive.

Wait a minute...it's the same angle...is this AI????;)
Ya SEE @music6000 ?

Your cool realistic photoshopping is only surpassed (maybe only barely) by the real in-the-flesh pedals!

I gotta say: I wished you'd given the Aion PCB to a newb or similar donation, but I fully understand the intents and purposes of making sure it could not be of further use to anyone — been there done that with some similar conviction for something else myself (*a few times);
your board, do with it what you will.

I generally feel the same way about cars. Your car, do with it what you will. Unlike a PCB that's still being made, though...
Boyd Coddington scrapped a MINT Model T to make his hotrod. There's only so many original examples left of cars, even if Model T parts repops are being made and Coddington could've used a rusty parts-hulk or fibre-glass repop of the body for his hot rod.

From this (URL at timecode):

To this:

0501rc_01_z-1929_ford_model_t_coupe-.jpg

What an excellent combo pedal! Why didn't I think of that?
Rat and Muff variants of choice, but which Ring Mod would you choose for this trifecta?
I currently use my meris enzo to get ring mod type sounds but I just ordered the cordyceps from PPCB. I tried the space ring on vero but that one is jammed up in the troubleshooting phase so I bought a wurmloch from deadendfx. randy's revenge would be sweet but there is no DIY PCB. I should probably pony up and buy the AionFX ring stinger.... but you couldnt box that up with a rat and muff...... or could you..... worm.jpg

Last edited:
I currently use my meris enzo to get ring mod type sounds but I just ordered the cordyceps from PPCB. I tried the space ring on vero but that one is jammed up in the troubleshooting phase so I bought a wurmloch from deadendfx. randy's revenge would be sweet but there is no DIY PCB. I should probably pony up and buy the AionFX ring stinger.... but you couldnt box that up with a rat and muff...... or could you.....View attachment 60837
There are 1590A-sized boards for both Muff and Rat, Ring Stinger already requires a bigger enclosure than most pedals...
Hammond has some slopers slightly bigger than the 1590XX.

There are offbrand slopers, too.
SF763 — This would be a good candidate

Last edited:
I currently use my meris enzo to get ring mod type sounds but I just ordered the cordyceps from PPCB. I tried the space ring on vero but that one is jammed up in the troubleshooting phase so I bought a wurmloch from deadendfx. randy's revenge would be sweet but there is no DIY PCB. I should probably pony up and buy the AionFX ring stinger.... but you couldnt box that up with a rat and muff...... or could you.....View attachment 60837

That's when you order yourself a 1550j -

1000018024.jpg

Back