4 lug mono jack, is this suitable?

paulbarrette

These plastic 4 lug mono jacks are a lot cheaper (.99 vs 2.59) than the usual open jacks, are they suitable?

I am wondering how to solder the 4 lugs. Usually I use this type which has only 2 solder points:

Thanks
Pb

These plastic 4 lug mono jacks are a lot cheaper (.99 vs 2.59) than the usual open jacks, are they suitable?

I am wondering how to solder the 4 lugs. Usually I use this type which has only 2 solder points:

Thanks
Pb
They are suitable, yes. You can use your DMM to see which is tip and which is sleeve. Just use a guitar or patch cable to see where you have continuity.

Yes, they are suitable. Keep in mind that they are switchable jacks, which means that when you insert a a cable into the jack, the spring raises up and disconnects from one of the pins -- try plugging a cable in, and you'll see what I mean. You want to use the pins that are on the side of the jack that do not separate when you insert the cable -- hopefully that makes sense.

Yes, they are suitable. Keep in mind that they are switchable jacks, which means that when you insert a a cable into the jack, the spring raises up and disconnects from one of the pins -- try plugging a cable in, and you'll see what I mean. You want to use the pins that are on the side of the jack that do not separate when you insert the cable -- hopefully that makes sense.
Interesting. I will try it out. I wonder what the usual use case is for them?

thanks!
Pb

Interesting. I will try it out. I wonder what the usual use case is for them?

thanks!
Pb

Your cell phone (at least 10 years ago) is a good example. Plug in headphones, switch contacts separate, no sound from the speaker. Remove headphones, switch contacts connect, sound from speaker.

Your cell phone (at least 10 years ago) is a good example. Plug in headphones, switch contacts separate, no sound from the speaker. Remove headphones, switch contacts connect, sound from speaker.
Ah cool. That makes sense.
Thanks
Pb

You can use 4 of them to run out of effects parallel or mono. Check out the duo phase, that’s a great example.

Back