Distortion 250 (Gray Specs)

Thanks folks! Here are the gray spec subs from Mr. PedalPCB.

Add 25pF cap across R2

R3 47K
R5 470K
R6 20K
R7 20K

C1 2n2
C4 22u (positive lead in left pad)
C5 2n2
C6 10u

D1 1N4148
D2 1N4148

Gain C500K
Volume A10K *I used an A100k here*

Nice! A good example for a beginner like me to reference. I'm actually doing this build right now but according to the build docs. I'll have to try this variation on a later build. I noticed you used a 1uF electrolytic. Is that for this variation that you did on this build? I used a 1uF poly film box in that spot. Will that work or did I make a mistake?

Nice! A good example for a beginner like me to reference. I'm actually doing this build right now but according to the build docs. I'll have to try this variation on a later build. I noticed you used a 1uF electrolytic. Is that for this variation that you did on this build? I used a 1uF poly film box in that spot. Will that work or did I make a mistake?
Thanks! You'll be fine. Thats a 22uF in the 1uF silkscreen spot, as the mod suggests. I just followed PedalPCB's list to turn it into gray DOD specs. Following the build docs I believe it's closer to a Distortion+.

Last edited:

Agreed with for a reference , awesome build and very clean work...

Mike

Can you swap out the A10k to A100k to add more volume on the reg 250/distortion with out the other mods ?

Mike

Can you swap out the A10k to A100k to add more volume on the reg 250/distortion with out the other mods ?

Mike
Someone else with more electronics knowledge will have to chime in here. I just added the a100k because that's what all the gray spec mods I found on the interwebs suggested and what was posted above from Mr PedalPCB was very similar to everything I found (minus the a10k) so I went with it. It works perfectly and sounds great.

Changing the VOLUME pot from 10K to 100K won't increase the volume. The diodes will get hit a little harder, that's all. If you want more volume, your best option is to put a booster after the Distortion 250. You can change the diodes to silicon or LEDs, or stack 1N270s to get more volume, but any of those changes will alter the sound.

One a slightly different topic, if you socketed the opamp, you might try other single opamps to see if you like their sound. 741's are shitty little opamps IMHO. They are not low-noise by any stretch of the imagination. They were used in vintage pedals because they were cheap and there were not a lot of options back in the day.

I found this in searches, my thought it may come in handy , ill swap out a few IC's

People like running a 10 band EQ after the 250 Dist + like Randy Rhoads did...ill try a clean boost as well

Last edited:

I found this in searches, my thought it may come in handy , ill swap out a few IC's

People like running a 10 band EQ after the 250 Dist + like Randy Rhoads did...ill try a clean boost as well
Nice link. Though those are all dual op amps and I'm pretty sure it won't work in the 250 because it needs a single op amp.

This is a good read..im starting to understand things a little more it broke down what parts are in the clipping stage , Op amp stage and Power supply stage

Bookmarked that link JBK

Mike

Back