Who's down for some SMD layouts?

My "next up" is an SOIC-8 opamp prototyping pcb. (dip-8 for scale)

yFkLcj2.jpg

I’d be up for it for sure! But It would have to be the right project. I mean I wouldn’t want to do a full smd board that’s just a Tube screamer or 250+.

But something like a digital delay with tap tempo? Or some other digital/analog hybrid stuff like chase audio? Ya, take my money.
I take that back. I would totally build a tumnus clone in a 1590a

I’m gonna need a good smd soldering tutorial soon…

There's all sorts of fancy tricks like drag soldering, solder paste, stencils, reflow ovens, pre-heaters, etc...

Personally... I tin one pad with a small amount of solder then position the component in place with tweezers (or by hand if it's a larger IC) while heating the tinned pad.

Let it cool, now the component is secured in place.

Proceed to solder the other pad(s) one by one.

My eyesight isn't what it used to be, so soldering gets more challenging, but I'd probably try one.

I'm envisioning the idea of making a whole new organizational system for SMD resistors and capacitors.

I am now envisioning the inevitability of myself tipping an organizer over and having all those tiny little resistors go flying into a mixed mess of indecipherable little cubes with vague markings.

I am now envisioning my fiance, after finding am SMD resistor in her bra for the third time this week, requiring prompt attention with flowers and foot rubs.

...which, I mean, is probably better than her stepping on a cut-off from a through hole. Huh.

Mayyyyyyybe. I mean, I'm down for MLCCs in most areas if I can use C0G...dunno much about packages and what's available in what sizes.

I am now envisioning the inevitability of myself tipping an organizer over and having all those tiny little resistors go flying into a mixed mess of indecipherable little cubes with vague markings.

Keep em in the tape reel and that's not an issue, although removing them from the tape is probably the most time consuming part of assembly.

You can use whatever you want... I will say, I built a prototype for an overdrive this weekend that used nasty old ceramic disc capacitors throughout the entire signal path. (330pF all the way up to 1uF) I could have used film, I suppose, but the original used ceramic so that's what I used... It has become my favorite overdrive.

I'm not arguing the theory against ceramics, but I'm also not convinced that the hate is entirely based on objective audible results (vs what I read on a forum) in every case... this ain't HiFi. Don't mind me though, I generally don't modify or "fix" the quirks with original circuits either unless it's obviously broken in an unusable way.

Of course there's no reason we can't mix in some through-hole caps when absolutely necessary. The goal here isn't to torture your soldering skills (or supernaturally sensitive ears), the goal is to cram 10lbs of s**t into a 1/2lb enclosure. :D

I have two techniques...

1) Exhale while soldering (when I forget to turn on my fume extractor)
2) Blink while clipping leads

Anyone watching through the window would think I'm having a seizure....

*PedalPCB, LLC does not condone the practice of either "technique" mentioned above... seriously, don't do this.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was recommended by someone on here and is pretty far from fancy but seems like it’s more than enough for me:

Same one I got. Have you tried it? (just realized you haven't) Pretty close to 400ºF, but the airspace between the bottom and your work surface is insufficient to dissipate the heat, so I doubled an oven silicone mat underneath. I may upgrade to one with some control over temp, and a more stable package.

It was recommended by someone on here and is pretty far from fancy but seems like it’s more than enough for me. Will be able to let you know how it is later this week

I got mine the other day, did a FV-1 onto a Radium springs project, use of solder paste is a learning curve I had to take the solder sucker to a few bridges

Let me get this straight; vintage Soviet Ge transistors are out, SMD transistors are in…as are ceramic caps? Pedal building is gone through the looking glass. Next everyone will be replacing their LM308’s for OP07 in their Rat’s…

I got mine the other day, did a FV-1 onto a Radium springs project, use of solder paste is a learning curve I had to take the solder sucker to a few bridges

Solder paste without a stencil makes me want to just start buying pedals.... or just become a drummer.

Let me get this straight;

The kind of circuits I have in mind don't have too many germanium components.

Back