A bunch of builds

szukalski

It's been a while since I did a build report, life has been busy and builds have seemed slow.

Apparently, not so slow.. sorry for the long post and large pics.. in no particular order:

1 : Effects Layouts Drivestortion : Built to grey spec, first time playing a DOD 250. Inspired by a build for Ukraine, there are more refined pedals but this has a certain magic to it.

1.jpg 2.jpg

2 : Effects Layouts Second Sea Chorus : Had to build a CE-2, another which I had never played. Enjoyed the layout.

3.jpg 4.jpg

3 : Effects Layouts Jocelyn Bell : EHX Pulsar. My most enjoyable tremolo thus far. Low gain + Fender amp + this = contentment.

5-jpg.27934
6.jpg

4 : Aion Tri-Vibe : I like the phaser mode. Had some issues with ticking which I pretty much resolved but still get challenges with depth above 75%. Will look at shielding if it really bugs me more.

7.jpg 8.jpg

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 285
5 : Moon Drömtydning : Echo Dream II by Death By Audio, fun pedal if not usable on a daily basis for my purposes. A lot of drilling and cap placement challenges.

9.jpg 10.jpg

6 : PedalPCB Dark Rift : EQD Space Spiral with infinite repeat mod. I like it more as a pure delay, and will look to re-mod the infinite delay to something like 80% to have a more musical option for large repeats.

11.jpg 12.jpg

Last edited:
7 : GPCB Sea Lion : Walrus Deep Six. I bought a bunch of stuff from GPCB mainly because I wanted this board. Yup, fell into the trap. The compressor is nice though, 18V doesn't play nice even though all should be in spec. Not sure I need to keep it as a compressor since I have the Tso and Constrictor on hand.

13.jpg 14.jpg

8 : PedalPCB Muffin Factory : Because I like fuzz and didn't have a Muff. Used a Russian D9 and some 2N1304s in there. I find it to be pretty flexible, though the option paralysis steals playing time.

15.jpg 16.jpg

9 : PedalPCB Fingers : Well, this is lubbly-jubbly. Built this right after the DOD 250 and it quickly pushed it off the board. Combined with a JTM45, this rocks high or low gain pickups. Art-work doesn't get the time it deserves but the kids were looked after simultaneously, so there is that..

17.jpg 18.jpg

10 : PedalPCB Tater Tot : Barber Electronics Small Fry. Love hate relationship with this one, it has a darkness to it which needs to be dialed away, but once you find it's place it is glorious. I have it running with my Strat through a cranked 5F2-A Princeton clone and it is a sound I will never tire of. Tried a lot of different diodes in there, it's one I will breadboard again and tweak to taste in the future.

19.jpg 20.jpg

11 : PedalPCB Comprehensive Drive : Free the Tone String Slinger. I can get some brilliant Strat tones from this, but it constantly gets replaced by the Tater Tot or Fingers. Much easier to dial in thatn the Tater though.

21.jpg 22.jpg

12 : Effects Layouts Test Rig : I shoudl have built one a long time ago. Again, inspired by another recent build of a test rig. This isn't as complete but it has made the build process tremendously more productive.

23.jpg 24.jpg

That's all folks! (For now)

Fun fact, the Jocelyn Bell was traced by David using my personal big box pulsar. Did you do the mod to the speed pot I suggested in the build doc?
Nice. I did do the mod, but now I need to double check what I did. A nagging part of me says I used an A500K instead of a A500..

It’s a great sounding pedal!

Wow, that some MichaelW level output there.....! I better get cracking......hahahah. Great builds man, glad you're digging them and getting some playing time. That's always the challenge for me, actually playing what I'm building. I'm on your side of the pond this week. (In Madrid). Not Germany but a stones throw by new world standards......:)

Wow, that some MichaelW level output there.....! I better get cracking......hahahah. Great builds man, glad you're digging them and getting some playing time. That's always the challenge for me, actually playing what I'm building. I'm on your side of the pond this week. (In Madrid). Not Germany but a stones throw by new world standards......:)
The playing actually came in these last two weeks when I haven't built anything new. Sometimes there are upsides to sticking to a pay-cycle.. :)

Enjoy Spain! I can never get into their super late dinners.. but the ham!

Great work!
It might be the motivation my lazy ass needs to finish the one pedal that's been on the desk for a couple of weeks...

The playing actually came in these last two weeks when I haven't built anything new. Sometimes there are upsides to sticking to a pay-cycle.. :)

Enjoy Spain! I can never get into their super late dinners.. but the ham!
Yah the whole "can't get food before 9pm" thing is a little weird....but I've been pretty jet lagged so it's not quite so awkward. But I leave in the morning for home and get to have the other direction jet lag all over again.....:)

Yah the whole "can't get food before 9pm" thing is a little weird....but I've been pretty jet lagged so it's not quite so awkward. But I leave in the morning for home and get to have the other direction jet lag all over again.....:)

Hope you picked up a nice handmade Spanish classical guitar!

5 : Moon Drömtydning : Echo Dream II by Death By Audio, fun pedal if not usable on a daily basis for my purposes. A lot of drilling and cap placement challenges.

View attachment 27938View attachment 27939

6 : PedalPCB Dark Rift : EQD Space Spiral with infinite repeat mod. I like it more as a pure delay, and will look to re-mod the infinite delay to something like 80% to have a more musical option for large repeats.

View attachment 27940View attachment 27941
Excellent array of projects man. I’m about to try to add the infinite delay mod to my dark rift. May I ask which lugs of which pots you are bridging with the switch? And did you add a trim pot as some people recommend? And lastly did you achieve the re-mod you wanted, bringing it down to 80% or so?

Excellent array of projects man. I’m about to try to add the infinite delay mod to my dark rift. May I ask which lugs of which pots you are bridging with the switch? And did you add a trim pot as some people recommend? And lastly did you achieve the re-mod you wanted, bringing it down to 80% or so?
This is the same mod on a different board:

I can't remember which lugs, but you can test it easily yourself with a piece of wire to bridge the lugs.

I never bothered with the mod, I am not a big player of delay, but it should be as easy as the trim pot in the link above.

Back