SOLVED Madbean Slow Loris - no sound

pingpongcomputer

I've checked component values and inspected for solder bridges or melted caps. I scrubbed both sides of the board clean of flux. The only sub I made is an Op07 instead of the LM308, I left the 30pf compensation cap in because I read that it did no harm, could that be causing no sound? I checked voltages on the IC and they're all wrong +/-9V on pin 1&8, and around 8.6V on 2-3&6-7, 9V again on pin 4 and nothing on 5. Is there more investigation I can do with just a DMM or do I need a scope/function generator? Any help is appreciated, the Madbean forums are down.

Edit: forgot to add images

zqvXv6u.jpeg

llctaS2.jpeg

I've checked component values and inspected for solder bridges or melted caps. I scrubbed both sides of the board clean of flux. The only sub I made is an Op07 instead of the LM308, I left the 30pf compensation cap in because I read that it did no harm, could that be causing no sound? I checked voltages on the IC and they're all wrong +/-9V on pin 1&8, and around 8.6V on 2-3&6-7, 9V again on pin 4 and nothing on 5. Is there more investigation I can do with just a DMM or do I need a scope/function generator? Any help is appreciated, the Madbean forums are down.

Edit: forgot to add images

zqvXv6u.jpeg

llctaS2.jpeg
You can try an audio probe to trace the signal. I use a looper pedal as my tone generator, and my audio probe is simply a guitar cable plugged into a mini amp, and the “probe” end, I clip the ground to pedal ground, and use a large capacitor (.68u, but anything would likely work) with one end tied to the guitar cable and the other lead is my probe.
Sure you can use professional signal generator and scope but simple often is good enough

You can try an audio probe to trace the signal. I use a looper pedal as my tone generator, and my audio probe is simply a guitar cable plugged into a mini amp, and the “probe” end, I clip the ground to pedal ground, and use a large capacitor (.68u, but anything would likely work) with one end tied to the guitar cable and the other lead is my probe.
Sure you can use professional signal generator and scope but simple often is good enough
Great idea, thank you, I will give this a shot. Are there any most likely culprits for the IC voltages being so far off?

That op07 looks a little sus. With the chip removed what do you get voltage wise? Mine shows 8 ish on pin 7 and 4 on pin 3. As @Erik S suggested, validate R10/12/13 which are in the power section and handle VC and other supply voltages. I will say that mine shows 8.9 on pin 8 where the MB docs say should be 4, but mine still operates as expected

I did use jacks alligator clipped to the contacts for power and audio jacks for testing, but I missed the wrong resistor values. Time to stop trusting that the labeled bags of resistors from Tayda are correct and start checking color codes. Thanks for all the help. I'm going to verify all the resistors by color code and try again.
There's an electronics supply shop not far from me that has all stock that looks like it's at least 30 years old, still in original packing. I don't know how they're still open. I got 5 of those PMI OP07 for around $7.

Correct value resistors fixed everything. This was supposed to be sort of a joke build for a friend, a Klon into a Rat, just stuff we used to talk about at work. I spent way more time on in than intended, but it actually turned out to be a decent and possibly useful pedal.
Thanks for all the help.
It's a bit ugly inside, the klone had a bunch of weird resistor values that I just did a few in serial to get it, but it worked great straight away. Here's a couple of pics of the finished build:
xNI2qrW.jpeg

HnIAeB9.jpeg

Back