DEMO Lead Solder Overdrive

This post contains an audio or video demo
Was this hard to solder for you?
not really, these PCBs are pretty good to work with.

wait til you try soldering with veroboard, it’s even more fun and you get to flow shitloads of solder onto the board

I don't have a fancy soldering iron, though.
neither do i.
i’ve been using the same cheap 40W aud$34 (usd$22) iron since i started DIY.

sounds like you got your build working though, congratulations 🤙🏻 white on purple looks good

ever since this appeared in the project wishlist (same day it was released i guess), i’ve been bugging to try this circuit.
boy howdy, we got there. and i guess it’s pretty good 🤷🏻‍♂️

View attachment 68790
its kinda hard to benchmark fairly cos i haven’t tried many circuits like this yet (still gotta do a brown betty board, aionfx tightmetal board..)

after hearing a couple complaints of oscillation/noise, i went over it pretty carefully, triple checked for cold joints, and soldered the TL072s to the board.
View attachment 68788

View attachment 68789
zero issues with noise and oscillation.
during this demo, to validate - i dimed every single control and it still didn’t oscillate. sounded pretty cool too haha

some observations/opinions:
- presence control is cool, useful, works well
- deep switch is a lot more dramatic than i anticipated, it's great, and it's just in the right spot.
- the TMB controls are a bit odd to me. for the first time ever with a device, it just seemed to sound it's best / most natural / balanced with them set at noon or close to noon..
- treble control seems especially odd. it's like a treble control below noon and a mid control above noon. i wonder if that unusually high value (1nF) treble cap has anything to do with that..
- mid control seems to be ok. sounds good with the mid cut when boosting the front of it with a mid forward drive (808)
- bass control, idk, a good nudge above noon sounds great, but gets too loose/woofy if turned too high, even with an 808 cutting the low end in front.

overall it’s an easy board to build, just gotta take the extra time for at least a shielded input.
Hi!
I just finished the pedal and it sounds great. The only thing is that with the deep switch off the Bass pot doesn`t do anything. Is that normal?Thanks!

Hi!
I just finished the pedal and it sounds great. The only thing is that with the deep switch off the Bass pot doesn`t do anything. Is that normal?Thanks!
Shouldn’t make a difference. What are you plugging the pedal into? Could be one that doesn’t have a lot of low end response. Also if you are playing into another distortion or distorted amp, bass controls at this point would seem to be a bit weak, as the distortion (and distortion channels) often filter low end and it can just get lost

Back