Cable for Guitar & Speaker Cabinets

I asked this question as I purchased a current $500.00 AU 1 x 12'' Speaker Cab with a Celestion V30 in it & the guy gave me the Speaker cable that came with it. I payed $200.00, the V30 sells for around $250.00 AU on its own!
I asked his reason for selling it & he told me that he had gone to a bluetooth Speaker configuration!????
I got it home & plugged my WANGS 5 watt Head into it with said cable & it was very thin & harsh sounding.
I went and got my spare Speaker Cab cable & replaced the one he gave me.
It was transformed into a completely different Sound, how a cab should Sound as my WANGS sounded in my other Cabinet with a vintage G12 - 50 Celestion Rola! but the Vintage 30 has those pronounced Mids!
I knew the cable was just a cheap Chinese throw away cable that you get with any cheap import guitar.
I believe he was not happy with the way the Cabinet sounded & off loaded it!
The Moral of this story is as Members above have stated, use proper Speaker Cables for your Amp & Speaker Cabinet!

Looks like Biyang "makes" a few pedals too. Would love to find those enclosures
View attachment 72051
I had one of their delay pedals a few years back. Got it for pennies, wanting it only for the enclosure so I could put the pt2399 delay I designed in a cool
enclosure… only to find I only needed to change a handful of components on their PCB to bring it in line to what my design was!

No, that's the easiest way to ruin an output transformer and or speaker. I wouldn't use anything less than 16g speaker cable
I use thick too, but most output transformers have only 18. So it depends on the length, if under a foot 18 would be fine, but I use 10 most of the time simply because I have 1500' of it left over from an electrical job. My company was throwing it away about a year after a big project, I *instantly* snagged it before someone beat me.

If it's a head to cab cable I use mogami speaker cable. Redco has the best price.

I use thick too, but most output transformers have only 18. So it depends on the length, if under a foot 18 would be fine, but I use 10 most of the time simply because I have 1500' of it left over from an electrical job. My company was throwing it away about a year after a big project, I *instantly* snagged it before someone beat me.

If it's a head to cab cable I use mogami speaker cable. Redco has the best price.
I used a Belden 50footer I scored on accident many moons ago that I’d cut a 3’ chunk off of whenever I needed a speaker cable. Recently I’ve gone down the Earcandy/Rattlesnake cable path of buying premade speaker cables using their wire with the heavy nylon braid over it. I’m sure I could make it cheaper, but I rarely need to make a new one, so it doesn’t justify having big spools on hand anymore.

I used a Belden 50footer I scored on accident many moons ago that I’d cut a 3’ chunk off of whenever I needed a speaker cable. Recently I’ve gone down the Earcandy/Rattlesnake cable path of buying premade speaker cables using their wire with the heavy nylon braid over it. I’m sure I could make it cheaper, but I rarely need to make a new one, so it doesn’t justify having big spools on hand anymore.
The mogami uses the ground as shielding, preventing induction as well as affection. I bought about 50' of it when it was .65 a foot about 20 years ago. I only have about 8 feet left..... The price has almost doubled!!!!!

1712003462941.png

The mogami uses the ground as shielding, preventing induction as well as affection. I bought about 50' of it when it was .65 a foot about 20 years ago. I only have about 8 feet left..... The price has almost doubled!!!!!

View attachment 72079
I thought there was some reason speaker cables don't normally use a sheild and a separate parallel conductor is preferred. It escapes me at the moment...

I thought there was some reason speaker cables don't normally use a sheild and a separate parallel conductor is preferred. It escapes me at the moment...
The normal general consensus is that you don't need to shield 100v 50w from inductance. And that's mostly true, unless there is a high voltage neon light overhead. But unshielded speaker wire can then be inducted into other signal paths!

Mogami's claim to fame is (according to their data) used in more studio recording than any other cable due to the extremely low noise signal path pure copper wire and heavy shielding. It's made in Japan...

Back