Deciding on first amp build

I’m ready for an amp build.

I started building pedals about 8 months ago. I have 35 builds under my belt.

As I’ve been working on the guitar tracks for my band’s EP, I realized 3 out of 4 songs don’t use any pedals. So I’m recording my parts from a guitar plugged straight into a tube amp.

I mean, what am I doing with my life? Clearly I need more amps!

I have dreams of something like a deluxe reverb, but I know I’m not there yet.

So I’m thinking either 5F1, 5F2, or 5E3 to get my feet wet.

Thought the 5F2 by Weber would be a cool kit. They have a 1x12 option and TV front, which is appealing.

I know there are some experienced amp builders around here. So if anyone has 2 cents on parts, kits, I’m all ears!
I will link these videos that I watched recently here, for everyone, just for some basic safety.

I’m ready for an amp build.

I started building pedals about 8 months ago. I have 35 builds under my belt.

As I’ve been working on the guitar tracks for my band’s EP, I realized 3 out of 4 songs don’t use any pedals. So I’m recording my parts from a guitar plugged straight into a tube amp.

I mean, what am I doing with my life? Clearly I need more amps!

I have dreams of something like a deluxe reverb, but I know I’m not there yet.

So I’m thinking either 5F1, 5F2, or 5E3 to get my feet wet.

Thought the 5F2 by Weber would be a cool kit. They have a 1x12 option and TV front, which is appealing.

I know there are some experienced amp builders around here. So if anyone has 2 cents on parts, kits, I’m all ears!
Go big, build a Brownout 1000:

InsanityAmp1.jpg

Matamp. I priced that hilbish build for a friend and you could almost buy a matamp for what it would cost
Ah right. That's another thing for the OP that other threads here have pointed out, that unlike pedals, building your own amp won't be saving any money.

Also, when I started looking into this I compared the cost of a kit to sourcing everything by myself. The price was similar.

Ah right. That's another thing for the OP that other threads here have pointed out, that unlike pedals, building your own amp won't be saving any money.

Also, when I started looking into this I compared the cost of a kit to sourcing everything by myself. The price was similar.
Most of the time, I'd rather build something than buy one. But a matamp is cool enough, I'd kinda rather just have a real one

Thank you all tor sharing your collective knowledge. Man I love this forum. It is my social media!

I watched both the safety videos btw. I picked up the hand-in-pocket and chopstick tricks from the tech at the studio I used to work at, but hadn’t had a need to discharge filter caps yet, so that was my TIL.

@andrewsrea touched on a configuration that crossed my mind- the 5F2 with the 1x12. I really like that idea, and think that’s the build I’ll do first.

I like the idea of learning on something minimal, and also having an amp that’s minimal. I can dime it in my house situation no problem.

Ya Matamp is another bucket list amp for me. I have always been in love with the look of their amps with the 3D logo. Definitely an amp I would want to buy rather than build. They are reasonably priced as well.
I haven't looked at them in several years but I heavily considered one when I bought my rockerverb

Ya Matamp is another bucket list amp for me. I have always been in love with the look of their amps with the 3D logo. Definitely an amp I would want to buy rather than build. They are reasonably priced as well.
After looking at the orange schematics, they really are quite simple. Only weirdness is the FAC tone control and the cathodyne (I think?) PI — more like a tweed fender PI. I think you can build it!

Trinity have been very good to me but I’m not sure if they have much in stock. Maybe worth dropping them an email and seeing when they will be up and running again.

I got an 18w from them and they made an amazing head box and speaker cab too.

I also got a soldano clone PCB from:

Harder to build as no instructions or guidance in anything other than a layout and schematic but I managed to find a good chassis and extras.

Attachments

• IMG_9074.jpeg
    IMG_9074.jpeg
    452.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9667.jpeg
    IMG_9667.jpeg
    487.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9671.jpeg
    IMG_9671.jpeg
    604.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2463.jpeg
    IMG_2463.jpeg
    642.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3578.jpeg
    IMG_3578.jpeg
    358 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4524.jpeg
    IMG_4524.jpeg
    474.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5798.jpeg
    IMG_5798.jpeg
    688.1 KB · Views: 6
I'm in the same boat as @jcpst where I'm thinking about making an amp.

Logically, I know that the 5F1 would be the place to start. However, I already own a clone of that amp.

Knowing that the Classic British 18W is a more difficult circuit, realistically, how much more difficult would it be for a first timer? Especially considering they have step by step instructions?

Knowing that the Classic British 18W is a more difficult circuit, realistically, how much more difficult would it be for a first timer? Especially considering they have step by step instructions?

Depends on the person.

Some are able to bite off and chew-chew-chew, and others bite off more than they can chew — I'm in the latter category so I built a 5F2 for someone else and then for myself a 5E3. I'll be building a 5F2 for myself as my 5W TREND amp I refurbed already can annoy neighbours.

As others have pointed out, no point in building something you won't use, BUT — you can sell it (for nowhere near what you put into it, but chalk that up to learning) or gift it to somebody who will use it. No sense in trying to build a Marshall Super Lead as your first amp if you don't know what you're doing yet and are going to potentially make a costly mistake or kill yourself.

Then again, if you build the Brownout 1000 that Passinwind mentioned in post #25,
just think of all the $$$ you'll save by buying tubes in BULK!

Thank you all tor sharing your collective knowledge. Man I love this forum. It is my social media!

I watched both the safety videos btw. I picked up the hand-in-pocket and chopstick tricks from the tech at the studio I used to work at, but hadn’t had a need to discharge filter caps yet, so that was my TIL.

@andrewsrea touched on a configuration that crossed my mind- the 5F2 with the 1x12. I really like that idea, and think that’s the build I’ll do first.

I like the idea of learning on something minimal, and also having an amp that’s minimal. I can dime it in my house situation no problem.
You should start simple. Tremolo and Reverb can be tricky to get running. The 5F2 is a simple build and has great sound. I started with 5e3, which has more connections and takes longer. This was around 2003-ish. Mojotone is a USA seller, generally has better quality components than Weber, and has instructions. Not sure if Weber has started including instructions, but 20 years ago the site read

"These are not erector sets kiddies, there are no instructions and it is assumed you know how to work with high voltage".

Or something to that effect. In addition their cabinets are made with very thin wood, whereas Mojotone is known for some of the best cabinets in the industry.

Ou, the alarm is going off. My soup is ready! Later!!

Last edited:
Mojotone is a USA seller, generally has better quality components that Weber, and has instructions. Not sure if Weber has started including instructions, but 20 years ago the site read

"These are not erector sets kiddies, there are no instructions and it is assumed you know how to work with high voltage".

Or something to that effect. In addition their cabinets are made with very thin wood, whereas Mojotone is known for some of the best cabinets in the industry.
I think I’d like to get a mojotone kit, but would prefer a 12” speaker. That’s why I considered the Weber. The mojotone 5F2 chassis is 3/4” narrower than the 5E3. So not sure if it will fit. But if it’s worth it to go mojotone, I’d rather get the 5E3 if that’s what fits in the 1x12 cab.

I think I’d like to get a mojotone kit, but would prefer a 12” speaker. That’s why I considered the Weber. The mojotone 5F2 chassis is 3/4” narrower than the 5E3. So not sure if it will fit. But if it’s worth it to go mojotone, I’d rather get the 5E3 if that’s what fits in the 1x12 cab.
Well the tweed deluxe is a great sounding amp. Neil Young, ZZ Top.... the list goes on. It's a bit more work, but not a whole lot more. The cabs from Mojo come fully assembled, the cabs from Weber are not, and they don't have *any* instructions. zip, nada, null set, and they are not void free baltic birch.

The one I bought had so many holes filled with green poly filler that it looked polka dotted..... I WAS going to finish it naturally until I saw that. I literally put it on the shelf and it's still there from about 18 years ago. That's when I said screw it and bought a 10" 2.5 hp Grizzly table saw with router table (over 400 pounds!), a couple routers a dovetail jig and made my own.

I came upon this a few days ago, kinda on subject. An incredibly well built 2x12 with speakers, for $265-ish free shipping. It's four dollars more on Amazon; has 5.0 rating!!! I've never seen any reviews that were 100% positive.

But of course you'd need a head cab to go with that

A lot less than the Mojo head cab

I have an extra copy of The Guitar Amp Handbook by Dave Hunter. If anyone is interested I would like to pass it along to anyone interested. It sparked my interest in building amps way back when I was in college. I bought a newer edition just cuz i was curious if there was anything new in it.
It has the basics of tube amp circuitry with a strong focus on early fender stuff. It has details in the back of the book to build DIY amp. PM if you are interested. free of charge. I really enjoyed the shit out of this book and would love to pass my extra copy along so if anyone wants it just PM me.

edit: claimed

Last edited:
Back