Klein Bottle and Scabbard

pingpongcomputer

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I really wanted the KB a year ago when I was messing around with weird ambient type stuff and weirded classical covers, but I've gone back to big dumb power chords and simple riffs blasted with fuzz and no longer really feel the need for parallel mixing. That said, it's a cool pedal and does a good job at what it does and I would've loved to have it in my late teens/early 20's noise/experimental days. I could see a lot of potential for live knob tweaking type musicians who want to stay outboard/analog and do everything with pedals/synths/physical knobs, although I suppose you could also just get a small mixing board. At this point I might use it as a switcher for multiple fuzz/drive chains and use the hp/lp filters for pedals that I like but don't have great tone control.
The build itself was much more straightforward than I thought it'd be, probably because I didn't have to do any of the surface mount stuff. The biggest hassles were getting artwork/drill template lined up(took me 2 tries) and wiring in all the send/return jacks. You can see in the gut shot that I lost patience moving left to right for short wires on those. Overall I'm happy with how it came out and the experience. Big thanks to @cwsquared for organizing the group buy and doing the SMD.
Tayda UV print on metallic candy blue, with a gloss layer on the text to help with legibility in the chaos.
Hf7kid3.jpeg

aGZqNY7.jpeg

5SBrCk0.jpeg

The Scabbard was an easy build until I decided to try doing the bare wire off board wiring all the cool kids are doing, that was difficult to get done cleanly. I still have a few original OP07 chips left so I put a couple in here, I doubt they make any audible difference, but mojo is mojo. I like the sounds of EAE preamp stages and I like this pedal. Fairly versatile for a small simple drive pedal, good tone shaping and drive. I rushed the art to get it in with my 2nd KB order and thought I put a light blue enclosure in my cart but I had a copper hammer when I was thinking of a different design and forgot to switch it out, so it's an odd color combo. It's my knifey-spoony tribute to the EAE artwork.
7IRPpNq.jpeg

Qz4rMM7.jpeg

Happy Thursday.

Looks great!
Thanks for the reminder to check the BOM. I know I don't have that many bipolars. Did you use the drill template here on the forum or measure it out yourself?
Contiplating moving the DC jack to the side for mine(blasphemy!) to provide room for pancake jacks. Though I'm not certain there will be enough room then.

Looks great!
Thanks for the reminder to check the BOM. I know I don't have that many bipolars. Did you use the drill template here on the forum or measure it out yourself?
Contiplating moving the DC jack to the side for mine(blasphemy!) to provide room for pancake jacks. Though I'm not certain there will be enough room then.
I used the untested drill template from the VFE group buy thread first and it wasn't a great fit for my graphics layout and would've been pretty difficult to fit the foot switches in. I made adjustments for the one pictured and still had to widen the holes for the pots a bit to get everything in. Once I had the pots in and soldered it looked like I probably could have left the holes at the stock sizes if I'd been more patient, but it's so many pots jiggling around trying to line up in the holes that after the eighth try I just drilled. The holes are still small enough to be completely covered by the nuts with no washer.
I'll share the drill template and illustrator file tomorrow when I'm at my computer. Use either at your own risk.

Back