1590A Fuzz Builds (Fuzzdog One Knob & Sheepylove Chrysomallos)

geoffrey

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Many of us here are constantly trying to up their build game; and for me right now, that means venturing into the world of 1590A builds. In my case it's not a matter of freeing up real estate on my board (at least not yet), but a simple yearning to improve my skill set and try something new. So what do we have here then? My first two 1590A builds, which both happen to be one knob fuzzes.

When @Feral Feline mentioned in my Green Ghetto build report thread that Small Bear was now selling the Fuzzdog One Knob Fuzz, it brought back a fond memory. We all remember that first pedal we built that was a success and actually worked, and for me, it was the Fuzzdog One Knob. When I was first starting out, I wasn't ready to dive into the treasure trove that is PedalPCB; I knew I needed to start with a kit; the idea of simply buying PCB's, sourcing components, and drilling my own enclosures seemed quite daunting at the time. So I ordered the One Knob kit from Fuzzdog with a 1590B because I knew cramming everything into a 1590A as a beginner was way out of my league. But after @Feral Feline's comment, I decided to dig the One Knob out, as I hadn't used it in awhile. Then I had an idea: although I wasn't ready for a 1590A build back then, I certainly am now. Thus, I undertook the challenge of rehousing this bad boy. I used the drill template from the older version of Fuzzdog's Fuzzpup general build document (which I highly recommend as a general 1590A drill template), and it turned out to be not so much of a challenge at all. I did need to slightly bend the pot legs in order for the board to fit over the Lumberg jacks, but that's the only out of the ordinary thing I had to do.

This One Knob Fuzz is a Colorsound clone, and boy is it thick and meaty. The knob is simply a volume control, and it sure can go big and loud. If the idea of a simple yet killer one knob fuzz interests you, look no further. Perfect project for a newbie (although I'd stick to a 1590B if you're a beginner). The enclosure is a powder drop from Love My Switches in Ford Blue. Definitely a cool and useful pedal. Right now I have it positioned behind my Catalinbread Soft Focus (the only pedal on my board that I didn't build), as I've been in a Shoegazey mood as of late.

IMG_9349.jpg

IMG_9348.jpg

Next we have the Sheepylove Chrysomallos, a Mythos Golden Fleece clone that @szukalski threw in as a bonus board in the "gift basket" I ordered from him. I used the aforementioned drill template again but had a little more trouble getting this little guy to fit than I did with the One Knob, and I actually somehow broke a pot (a first for me) in the process. I ended up using a Fuzzdog breakout board, as the Sheepylove one wouldn't fit. However, everything came out well in the end.

Like the One Knob this is a cool little pedal but they are vastly different. The Chrysomallos has more range but doesn't get as thick and loud as the One Knob; I kind of think of it as a "Fuzz-lite" in comparison. The knob on this one is also just a simple volume control, and I think it sounds best dimed out while using your guitar's volume knob to adjust the amount of volume/gain you'd like. For the Ge diode I went with a D9E, which turned out to be a good fit. I used another Love My Switches limited edition enclosure in gold, but am quite disappointed with this one, surprisingly. For $14, I was expecting something a bit more shiny and brilliant, but honestly the Tayda gold enclosures look just as good.

IMG_9317.jpg

IMG_9318.jpg

To sum things up, I'm definitely looking forward to undertaking some more challenging 1590A builds. If anyone has any suggestions for one, please let me know. And as far as one knob fuzzes go, I highly recommend looking into one. Say/think what you will about Josh Scott, but he definitely got at least one thing right: everyone needs a one knob fuzz.

Thanks for reading, and again, I'd love to hear suggestions for any future 1590A builds.

Good job. I went through the same thought process a couple years ago with building 1590a projects to challenge myself. It's a great way to make sure you pay attention to every aspect of boxing a pedal, which I used to rush.

If you haven't seen it, check out my thread of 1590a builds. I'm in the process of clearing out my backlog of 1590a projects. I haven't posted it yet, but I just finished my second most frustrating and challenging 1590a build yet last night

Good job. I went through the same thought process a couple years ago with building 1590a projects to challenge myself. It's a great way to make sure you pay attention to every aspect of boxing a pedal, which I used to rush.

If you haven't seen it, check out my thread of 1590a builds. I'm in the process of clearing out my backlog of 1590a projects. I haven't posted it yet, but I just finished my second most frustrating and challenging 1590a build yet last night

Wow Harry I didn’t know about the thread you’ve got going there. There’s some super dope builds in there! Well done, sir. I’ll have to make sure to share mine as I go along.

Verah noice leetle beelds !

The Ford Blue is begging for white Shelby racing stripes.

I still want to build a bunch of 1590A, even though I've realised a 1590B2 gives much more room inside for controls yet doesn't take up any more space on the pedalboard than 1590A with its required sidejacks.

So my latest acquisition for 1590A are some Schu-tone boards with (*gulp*) lots of SMD...

Oh, and there are more offerings from Small Bear of Fuzz Dog, but still not the wee doggy-PCBs I'm looking for.

Verah noice leetle beelds !

The Ford Blue is begging for white Shelby racing stripes.

I still want to build a bunch of 1590A, even though I've realised a 1590B2 gives much more room inside for controls yet doesn't take up any more space on the pedalboard than 1590A with its required sidejacks.

So my latest acquisition for 1590A are some Schu-tone boards with (*gulp*) lots of SMD...

Oh, and there are more offerings from Small Bear of Fuzz Dog, but still not the wee doggy-PCBs I'm looking for.
Thanks and I agree regarding the racing stripe; maybe I can make that happen.

1590B2...interesting. Where can I pick up one of those?

I'm glad Small Bear is adding more Fuzzdog boards. I honestly don't mind ordering straight from him though if Small Bear doesn't add something I want. Yea, it takes longer but the shipping really isn't that bad considering what you're getting. But I've got a pretty big pile to work on right now...it's just so hard to resist adding to it. Especially when @Robert has a 15% off deal 💵🔥

1590B2

Mouser
Alice's (or was it "Alison" or??) [EDIT: http://www.angela.com/hammond1590b2diecastenclosureforeffectsprojects.aspx]
Amplified Parts/AntiqueElectronicSupply
RS-Online
PedalPartsPlus
NextGenGuitars
ToneDesign
Hawk
Amazon
RackmountSolutions
TME
GordonElectric
Element14 Singapore/Australia/etc
ACA
SouthernEle
Banzai
Farnell
Rapid
Octopart
LincolnBinns
GelcoIndustrialElectronics
Redco
Distrelec Danmark
Digikey
Bisco
Electromaker
Tube-Town
Tanotis
Digispot
Reverb
SOSElectronic
Newark
Buerklin
Ceneo
Soundland
DeviceMart
Salidzini
Retroamplis
Ebay
Arrow
Conrad
Galco
Stie1
Desertcart
Yleiselektroniikka
TrustedParts

Too many more to list.

Maybe this very old thread needs updating:

Last edited:
1590B2

Mouser
Alice's (or was it "Alison" or??)
Amplified Parts/AntiqueElectronicSupply
RS-Online
PedalPartsPlus
NextGenGuitars
ToneDesign
Hawk
Amazon
RackmountSolutions
TME
GordonElectric
Element14 Singapore/Australia/etc
ACA
SouthernEle
Banzai
Farnell
Rapid
Octopart
LincolnBinns
GelcoIndustrialElectronics
Redco
Distrelec Danmark
Digikey
Bisco
Electromaker
Tube-Town
Tanotis
Digispot
Reverb
SOSElectronic
Newark
Buerklin
Ceneo
Soundland
DeviceMart
Salidzini
Retroamplis
Ebay
Arrow
Conrad
Galco
Stie1
Desertcart
Yleiselektroniikka
TrustedParts

Too many more to list.

Maybe this very old thread needs updating:
So not that many options, are there then? I had no idea they were so hard to come by

1590B2's a great size — not too tall like the 1590BS, and less troublesome squeezing in top-jacks like a regular 1590B.

If I'm not mistaken, Peter Rutter from VFE pedals convinced Hammond to make the B2.

I've realised a 1590B2 gives much more room inside for controls yet doesn't take up any more space on the pedalboard than 1590A with its required sidejacks.

You should try the Gorva M45 if you haven't - it's just a little larger than the 1590A but designed so you can squeeze in top jacks including a power jack:

315969363_150152560766900_4412906702671227861_n.jpg 315865866_168961632420373_4751161988068343381_n.jpg

Nice builds geoffrey. The Colorsound One Knob Fuzz is one of my favs - hard to beat for a one-knobber IMO.

Bigger than a 1590A, slightly, but quick question — smaller than a 1590G2?

Hmm no datasheet for the M45, but dimensions off Gørva's site...

ENCLOSURE 👇—— mm 👉HEIGHTWIDTHDEPTH
1590A933927
1590G21005027
Gørva M451004535

Wow! M45 is super tall (Depth). That bodes very well for some planned builds.

I used the below jacks. The Lumberg types and enclosed Switchcraft types (111X, 112BX) will fit as well although these are a little more forgiving.

There should be measurements for the M45 here:

It's hard to directly compare the Gorvas to the Hammonds because the slots for the lid screws do not extend all the way through the enclosure, leaving quite a bit more room for mounting on the "top" wall. I took some pics of various jacks top mounted in an M45 awhile back if this gives you a better idea of space, and you can see how you benefit from the smaller screw slots:

313837023_5726205780772625_6043455683427261345_n (1).jpg 313803544_435661272047622_2904402127146370818_n (1).jpg 313788471_679280743502235_3521146371244849492_n.jpg 313848143_131788479655746_4777119613053141897_n.jpg

You should try the Gorva M45 if you haven't - it's just a little larger than the 1590A but designed so you can squeeze in top jacks including a power jack:

View attachment 59978View attachment 59979

Nice builds geoffrey. The Colorsound One Knob Fuzz is one of my favs - hard to beat for a one-knobber IMO.
Is this the new Gorva footshitch?

I love the design, baby blue with rose gold knobs!!

I used the below jacks. The Lumberg types and enclosed Switchcraft types (111X, 112BX) will fit as well although these are a little more forgiving.

There should be measurements for the M45 here:

It's hard to directly compare the Gorvas to the Hammonds because the slots for the lid screws do not extend all the way through the enclosure, leaving quite a bit more room for mounting on the "top" wall. I took some pics of various jacks top mounted in an M45 awhile back if this gives you a better idea of space, and you can see how you benefit from the smaller screw slots:

View attachment 59982View attachment 59983View attachment 59984View attachment 59985
Holy crap, this is going to change things up for me...........THANK YOU for the measurements........1590A here I come!!

Is this the new Gorva footshitch?

It is the below footswitch with a black Carling dress nut - the soft click on these is pretty similar to the feel of the Gorvas:

I like the Gorvas a lot too but they don't have a black option at this point. And thanks for the kind words - it's actually the stock Gorva white powder coat just photographed in some blue-ish lighting although I love the idea of baby blue with those knobs.

To get back to OP, the Acapulco Gold, Orange Squeezer, and Phase 45 might be some good one-knobbers to squeeze into a 1590A. A Phase 45 might be a little tricky but I bet it's doable.

Back