3 effects at once: FV-1 all-in-one vs discrete circuits?

lumberjack

TL;DR If you were designing a chorus/reverb/trem combo pedal with a footswitch for each effect, how would you do it?

I’m trying to design a pedal that runs reverb, chorus, and tremolo on three separate foot switches, and wondered if the FV-1 format could do all three at once instead of doing discrete circuits for each effect and chaining them together.

I built the VHS and wired the 3 effects to foot switches instead of toggles and that’s what got me wondering; from the schematic it looks like the boost is an analog tl072 affair while the chorus and reverb are both being run off the FV-1, but it’s not clear to me how the chorus and reverb effects are being treated, as separate eeprom patches or a single one?

Is it running a single algorithm with chorus and reverb in it that you can switch in/out level knobs for each effect, or is it running two separate algorithms at once? If it’s running two at once, what is the eeprom/fv-1 program running limit and could you run 3 at once?

You can only run one algorithm at a time, but you can include multiple effects in a single algorithm. You'll be limited by the number of controls (three) and the number of LFOs available.

Chorus and tremolo will each need their own LFO, and most of the good reverb algorithms also need at least one.

You might can squeeze it in, but I would consider making tremolo an analog effect.

Ok cool, that’s what I was leaning toward as the tremolo would be by far the simplest to make analog out of these three.

Much appreciated!

I wonder if the daisy seed would be a better fit for something of this nature…. But that’s an entirely different rabbit hole.

I’d probably recommend doing the tremolo with the FV-1 and then doing something like the dimension p chorus. That way you could have 8 reverb+tremolo algorithms, such as spring + bias trem, spring + harmonic trem, plate + square wave trem, shimmer + sawtooth trem, etc.

Back