3mm LED vs 5mm LED for clipping diode

Color, on the other hand, makes a big difference because they all have a different forward voltage.
I had heard that. Everyone seems to use red. I'll have to try some others just to hear the difference. Are the LED's that have colored lenses actually white and just getting their color from the lens? The only clear LED's I have are red and ultra violet.

Diffused (colored) and clear will not have any differences between the same colored light.
Edit: Go with the reds, as I doubt the UVs will actually do anything- they have a huge forward voltage

The actual diode radiates a single color. White LEDs are red, green & blue LEDs running in parallel. Find a prism & check it out! I have used white LEDs in solid-state amp distortion circuits. For fun, I popped various color LEDs into my transistor tester. The test current is higher than we would see in most pedal diode clipping circuits. These were all 5mm LEDs.

red - 1.58V
yellow - 1.91V
green - 2.72V
blue - 2.67V
violet - 3.03V
white - 2.94V

I'm putting green LEDs in my Frost Drive (VFE Ice Scream) because hey, it's a TS and they're green. I used yellow LEDs in my Teddy Rupture mod. Lower diode voltage = more compression. The various BMP derivatives use everything from germanium diodes to yellow LEDs and anything in between. Red LEDs are the most common (at one time they were the cheapest), but there's a place for all of the LED colors.

Last edited:
The actual diode radiates a single color. White LEDs are red, green & blue LEDs running in parallel. Find a prism & check it out! I have used white LEDs in solid-state amp distortion circuits. For fun, I popped various color LEDs into my transistor tester. The test current is higher than we would see in most pedal diode clipping circuits. These were all 5mm LEDs.

red - 1.58V
yellow - 1.91V
green - 2.72V
blue - 2.67V
violet - 3.03V
white - 2.94V

Lots of good info CDB ! Thanks for putting that up..

Mike

Back