Aberration Questions

joelorigo

I bought the Aberration Fuzz in the sale this Weekend and have a couple questions.

1. I assume the board is designed to fit in a Tayda 3 knob 125B, yeah?

2. I have some BC109 transistors, can that be substituted for the BC107B listed in the BOM?

3. For the MP38A, I found these on eBay that one person on this forum had a good experience with:

Where else could I try to find them? Are there any substitutes to try?

The BOM says hFE ~80, leakage 0.195mA. What device measures the leakage? I have seen the TC1 as a good tester but it doesn't do leakage, right?

Right. The TC1 does do leakage. I use a Peak Atlas DCA75 for testing JFETs, BJTs and other active transistor/diode device. If you have a Windows based PC, the software that comes with the DCA75 for displaying the curve traces of such devices. However, the DCA75 is over 150 zorkmids in price. The DCA55 is less expensive, but less robust in device parameter readings. [EDIT: Learned that the TC-1 DOES do leakage.]

For other reliable Ge BJTs, there are these MN20B (МП20Б) on eBay too. Stateside, 100% seller with combined shipping - unfortunately, no returns. All are pre-tested, measured and recorded.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing those. The first one has a similar hfe and the leakage is "≤ 125µA" (which I guess is .125mA?). In terms of leakage is .125mA and .195mA close? How would a lower leakage effect the operation?

EDIT: The MP38A is NPN, the above links are PNP, so I cant use them, right?

Last edited:
... EDIT: The MP38A is NPN, the above links are PNP, so I cant use them, right?
Right.

Sort of.
A couple ways you could, but the amount of effort and knowledge required...:
1) convert the entire build to positive ground
2) Use an NPN and the PNP to make a Sziklai pair

Personally, I'd stick with just NPN, 'cause if I converted the build to positive ground I'd be pestering ChuckDBones and others to check/correct my conversion. I might go for the Sziklai pair, 'cause that's more straightforward and I just love those pairings, they're Szik!

Thanks for sharing those. The first one has a similar hfe and the leakage is "≤ 125µA" (which I guess is .125mA?). In terms of leakage is .125mA and .195mA close? How would a lower leakage effect the operation?

EDIT: The MP38A is NPN, the above links are PNP, so I cant use them, right?
Oh snap! Right. I didn't pay attention to the NPN/PNP difference. The MN20B BJTs will not directly work in place of the MN38A.

And for Gemanium BJTs, most any leakage value under ~300mA is usually fine. The lower, the quieter and more stable. Higher leakages tend to exacerbate the noise & temperature drifting commonly exhibited by Germanium BJTs. Biasing is always the trick.

Right.

Sort of.
A couple ways you could, but the amount of effort and knowledge required...:
1) convert the entire build to positive ground
2) Use an NPN and the PNP to make a Sziklai pair

Personally, I'd stick with just NPN, 'cause if I converted the build to positive ground I'd be pestering ChuckDBones and others to check/correct my conversion. I might go for the Sziklai pair, 'cause that's more straightforward and I just love those pairings, they're Szik!
I’m going to stick with NPN.

And for Gemanium BJTs, most any leakage value under ~300mA is usually fine. The lower, the quieter and more stable. Higher leakages tend to exacerbate the noise & temperature drifting commonly exhibited by Germanium BJTs. Biasing is always the trick.
I see, thanks!

Oh wow, cool, I've al. Here is a screen shot from a video about the TC1, is leakage the "Ic =6.2mA" reading?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 8.27.49 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 8.27.49 AM.png
    776.8 KB · Views: 10
I discovered that fact just last knight. I made the incorrect assumption that the TC-1 was just another one of those super cheap Chinese test units.
But it is a super cheap Chinese test unit! That's why I have one!

Well, for the super cheap part, I don't care where it's manufactured.

It’s actually an open source project. The doc is somewhere to read how it works. The cheap units are just chinese implementations of the code.
This why I really like this forum. The people are great and even us old cows can learn new stuff.

So, are you saying the code, being open sourced, is continually being updated? Is the TC-1 a firmware-upgradable unit?

(I just ordered one yesterday. I figure 20 bux and some reading could teach me more about it too. I already have a couple different cheap Chinese GM-328 units, a Peak Atlas DCA75 & LCR45. I find learning these different units intriguing and educational enough to help keep m'whistle wet.)

Oh wow, cool, I've al. Here is a screen shot from a video about the TC1, is leakage the "Ic =6.2mA" reading?
TBH, I'm not sure if that is the "Leakage". From a search I found: "How much leakage is too much? 100µA is common, 200 happens pretty often. More than 300µA means the device is suspicious, and more than 500µA I would say is bad."
So, if that "Ic =6.2mA" reading is the leakage, that value is goona set it outside a stable working range with regard to leakage. 6.2mA is 6200µA.

TBH, I'm not sure if that is the "Leakage". From a search I found: "How much leakage is too much? 100µA is common, 200 happens pretty often. More than 300µA means the device is suspicious, and more than 500µA I would say is bad."
So, if that "Ic =6.2mA" reading is the leakage, that value is goona set it outside a stable working range with regard to leakage. 6.2mA is 6200µA.
Yeah, that makes sense. So what/how does the TC1 measure leakage? @szukalski ?

Getting back to looking at this since I have been assembling the PCB. Just to be clear, it doesn't have to be an MP38A in this project, a Ge NPN with similar hfe and leakage should work, right?

Back