SOLVED Acid Rain Fuzz Weak/Low Output

VanWhy

So this one I'm pretty stumped on this one. Put some good time probing, reflowing, and swapping. I guess this is also a chance for more advice on audio probing and what to look for.
Anyway, I am getting no to a tiny bit of weak output out of this. Even with all the knobs maxed out. I built it to the BOM except I only used all A100K pots since I didn't have any B100K atm. (So bass and treble pots). I still wouldn't think that would be an issue.
I first double checked I didn't miss any soldering (especially since my last troubleshooting post I missed some socket legs). All looks good. I reflowed sockets just in case.
When probing, I get solid signal up to around Q3 where it drops off significantly. It seemed like the first place it was going weak was at C8 so I replaced it but still the same. I test all non-electrolytic caps, resistors, and transistors before populating and they all tested fine beforehand. I'm pretty green with reading schematics and audio probing so and tips on that are welcome as well. If anyone has anything else that it would be appreciated. The gut shot pic is not the best quality so I can get a better shot if that helps. Thanks

Attachments

• 20230918_185653.jpg
    20230918_185653.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 23
  • Acid Rain Schem.jpg
    Acid Rain Schem.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 23
If Q3 is the problem area, then check all your solder joints around there (R12, R13, R14, R15). Q3 may actually be the problem if it's sitting in a socket and not a solid connection. Do the tone controls work correctly?

I did reflow the Q3 socket but I was thinking of desoldering it to see if that was the issue. I also tried reseating the transistor and trying other ones. It kind of feels like Q3 is the problem. I think the tone and bass work? When I turn them, they do change the sound. It's barely audible with the weak signal. I didn't try them when probing though so I will test that for the hell of it.

I did reflow the Q3 socket but I was thinking of desoldering it to see if that was the issue. I also tried reseating the transistor and trying other ones. It kind of feels like Q3 is the problem. I think the tone and bass work? When I turn them, they do change the sound. It's barely audible with the weak signal. I didn't try them when probing though so I will test that for the hell of it.
Not sure of this is helpful, but that pedal has TONS of output and the bass and treble are quite noticeable. In other words, you will know clearly when it’s working properly. Probing those might be a good call.

Back