AION FX L5 Preamp Plea: A single comp/limiter IC pin is messing everything up!

Bobb Lobblaw

Hello All..longtime lurker, first-time poster. Wholy appreciate any help offered.

OK..So I built this L5 beast and boxed it before I rocked it (yeah, I know. I just really needed to see the cool knobs I bought for it in place at that exact moment). Fired it up and got a big buzz and a choked & very faint signal. But with the Master and Channel Vol. cranked I could hear all the knobs and switches doing their jobs...Even the Multifilter was multifiltering.

Checking the Voltages, vs. those posted by The Creator, they are ALL good, except pin 6 of IC10 a CA3080 for the comp/limit...I should be getting .9v and I'm getting the nearly full 15v regardless of whether the 3080 is in the socket. Pin 6 is also attached to a couple of transistors (2N5088s) QX1 & QX2 and a distortion trimmer, which are also giving me the same high voltage. Here are the most recent readings (my #s are in parenthesis).

IC10 CA3080E
1 = 0 (0) 8 = 0 (0)
2 = 0 (0) 7 = 14.73 (14.87)
3 = 0 (0) 6 = 0.9 (14.02)
4 = -15.2 (-15.07) 5 = -14.5 (-14.38)

QX1
1 = 0.4 (13.35)
2 = 0.9 (14.03)
3 = 14.66 (13.33)

QX2
1 = -0.22 (12.60)
2 = 0.4 (13.33)
3 = 13.21 (12.59)

I assume the transistor readings are wacky because P6 is passing all the power along the circuit. I saw a similar issue in THIS thread, and the answer was fake 3080s, but I got mine at Smallbear ($7!), so I would hope they're authentic. Perhaps there's a subtle but significant pinout difference between 3080AE's (the ones I bought) and the other versions 3080A etc..? but I don't think so...same datasheet

Likewise, tracing the audio signal, everything is fine through both Channels, and the Multifilter, all of which are then fed to the Master Vol/Comp/Output. All the other chips, pots, and switches have a signal. Messing with the dist & comp trimmers has no effect either. But I get to IC10, and Boom! A diminished and distorted signal from P6 and QX1/Qx2. The Master Vol. signal is also faint and ugly

I've tried reflowing the socket, no change. I've tried switching out the 3080 in IC11, thinking (hoping) that perhaps one of them was bad..same thing.

I'm not sure what to try next. Should I try another set of 3080's? If Smallbear's supply is tainted with fakes, where can I get some real ones?
Is it odd that all the voltages on every other pin on IC10/3080 are good except P6 with or without the IC slotted?

I'd really like to put this on my board..not to mention the ego boost for getting this Beautiful Behemoth up and rockin'. Thanks again, for any assistance! (sorry for the crappy photos and I know I need to clean the PCB a bit)

PCB Full.jpg Schematic -Evil Corner.jpg PCB -Evil Network.jpg

I've had poorly socketed 2N5088s give me wrong test voltages on L5 builds. (I've built a few and repaired a few.) After I "wrinkled" the legs and reseated them, the voltages all cam up to where they needed to be. That could be a starting point.

Wrinkled_Leads.jpg

And if you got your 3080s from SmallBear, you're good.

Double-check those test point leads that are dangling so precariously near that nearby (R72) resistor and ensure it does not make contact.

I’m confused. You say pin 6 has 15 volts with and without the IC installed. So why do you think the IC is bad?

Isn’t the problem: Why does the pcb pad for pin 6 have 15 volts? The shortest path would be if R70 is shorted.

-Whoo-Hoo! Indeed, music6000's eagle eye caught the wrong resistor, thus resolving the IC10 voltage P6 issue...THANKS!
-And I went ahead and crinkled the 2n5088s as cybercow suggested (how do you get them so perfectly crinkled? Mine look my dog chewed on them.) Thank you so much!
-Now I'm getting just getting a very faint, faraway output signal but all the EQ/switches, etc. seem to be working.
Since everything else seems to be working, I'm thinking/guessing I've screwed something up in the Master Vol./Output section? It's my first time using shielded wire, but I followed the instructions (solder the shield to the provided ground pads for In/Out & LED, leave the other end disconnected). Could I have missed a ground loop somewhere along the line? I don't see any obvious solder bridges, but I've been staring at this thing for so long, I may just be blind to it.
Frustratingly, the channel 2 LED, which was working fine 27 hours ago, suddenly decided not to light up. No idea why, but I consider that a secondary problem.
- Also, cybercow I've seen few other folks have issues with the bypass/channel LED wiring, I wired it for the default bypass, and the bypass LED wouldn't shut off. Again, a secondary issue, but curious if you've had any issues with your builds. I'm also using super bright LEDs, so perhaps that's an issue.

Thanks for the help. For some reason, neither diystompboxes.com nor freestompboxes.org will send me an activation email to seek help there, so I'm very appreciative of everyone's offered expertise.
I feel so close! I really wanna play a show with this pedal!

Last edited:
-Whoo-Hoo! Indeed, music6000's eagle eye caught the wrong resistor, thus resolving the IC10 voltage P6 issue...THANKS!
-And I went ahead and crinkled the 2n5088s as cybercow suggested (how do you get them so perfectly crinkled? Mine look my dog chewed on them.) Thank you so much!
-Now I'm getting just getting a very faint, faraway output signal but all the EQ/switches, etc. seem to be working.
Since everything else seems to be working, I'm thinking/guessing I've screwed something up in the Master Vol./Output section? It's my first time using shielded wire, but I followed the instructions (solder the shield to the provided ground pads for In/Out & LED, leave the other end disconnected). Could I have missed a ground loop somewhere along the line? I don't see any obvious solder bridges, but I've been staring at this thing for so long, I may just be blind to it.
Frustratingly, the channel 2 LED, which was working fine 27 hours ago, suddenly decided not to light up. No idea why, but I consider that a secondary problem.
- Also, cybercow I've seen few other folks have issues with the bypass/channel LED wiring, I wired it for the default bypass, and the bypass LED wouldn't shut off. Again, a secondary issue, but curious if you've had any issues with your builds. I'm also using super bright LEDs, so perhaps that's an issue.

Thanks for the help. For some reason, neither diystompboxes.com nor freestompboxes.org will send me an activation email to seek help there, so I'm very appreciative of everyone's offered expertise.
I feel so close! I really wanna play a show with this pedal!
I would check All your resistors!, I spotted that one because of the Voltage issue.
The values are all over the place & not being written on the PCB is a recipe for Disaster!
That 3rd band can make it or Break it!!!
Here is a Resistor Calculator, Click on Bands for 5 Colours:

Last edited:
Back