Aion L5 pre and PPCB Unicab w/ DI

Diynot

Was looking for a more challenging build and since I have been predominantly ampless, was looking for a potential alternative to my Quilter superblock UK. So when AionFx dropped their sale more than a few months back (not the last one) I grabbed the L5. Had it not been for the digital BOM, this would certainly have been a much tougher build, but with that it was not too terrible. The digital BOM is one of the best things Aion has ever offered. Seeing as how I do not have a signal generator, this is uncalibrated, but I like how it sounds as is. I love having the footswitchable channels using channel one for cleans and then 2 for dirtier tones. The od sounds are very pleasing and with the extensive tone controls can range from “brown” to tight. The onboard compressor has a very nice snap to it. As stated in the build doc this thing can get LOUD so having the master volume is awesome. Pretty basic bitch labeling and yes the channels and corresponding LEDs match color. BTW in reality, an L4 lab is the highest level of quarantine precautions and keep the most heinous of the contagions. So I guess calling it the Level 5 is both a nod to the actual name as well as a “this goes to 11”.

IMG_4685.jpeg IMG_4686.jpeg
So an ampless rig needs a DI and a Cab sim. Enter the second part, a PPCB Unicab with the tatylino 2n5458 based DI circuit. Let’s face it, it’s a glorified 6 band eq and does what it does. Pairs nicely with the L5, but can def cause some setting paralysis trying not to fuck with the eq settings of the L5 too much. Was a bit nervous ab the DI circuit trying to make sure all outputs matched the appropriate pins. This is wired as an always on because I’m not going to be using this solo for any reason and there’s just no need. A couple of snafus, when I first plugged everything in I got nothing. Quick audio probe revealed that I had pulled a TL071 out of a previous build instead of the needed tl072. Easy enough fix and all was right until my sound kept cutting out. I think the TRS jack may be borked. And yes, I am using a TRS to XLR adapter cable. Also installed a ground lift to pin 1 of the XLR, but at current all it does is drop the volume and introduces radio static. Meh. My labeling was a poor choice of colors since it basically blends with the paint and is further obscured by the haze from the last coat of clear coat. Again, meh, grind ‘em til you find’em on the knobs/toan.
IMG_4882.jpeg IMG_4881.jpeg

Back