Aion Redshift Vibrato mode not working properly?

RainbowReality

Hello everyone!

I've built a fair few pedals so this isn't my first and have good soldering technique etc and are meticulous with correct part placement but I'm struggling with this one. Everything seems fine but the vibrato mode doesn't seem to work correctly, it just seems to working as an high pass filter - the same as the normal phaser mode but with a lot of the mid-low and low frequencies cut out. The depth knob makes absolutely no difference making me wonder if I've messed up somewhere? I've re-soldered all joints just in case and have checked all pot, capacitor values etc all the right values (not checked resistors yet). I'm scratching my head with this one, any help would be appreciated!

Ok, i was out and did not remember what it was exactly.
I've had a look at the schematic, I'm a bit of noob with those but it looks the Vibrato kicks in a 100n capacitor and a 27k resistor. Do you know if depth does have any effect at all in vibrato? I'm guessing it should lower the volume of the vibrato effect if used? If it does then that would kinda point to something going awry in my build!

Reactions: Nic
From Aion:
Vibrato mode cancels the clean signal, which results in a pitch vibrato effect. (Note that Depth should be set at 100% while in Vibrato mode since its only purpose is to attenuate the wet signal.
The weird thing is that altering the depth in vibrato has no effect at all whereas you'd expect to adjust volume in that mode. Which kinda makes me think that maybe one of the transistors is blown? I'm guessing Q3 - 2N7000

Last edited:
There is a warning that they are prone to static electricity so there is a chance you may have a damaged one???
Google:
Yes, there are several precautions you should take when handling 2N7000 MOSFETs to prevent ESD damage. These include wearing an anti-static wrist strap, using anti-static tools and handling techniques, and avoiding touching the metal pins or leads of the MOSFETs directly with your fingers

There is a warning that they are prone to static electricity so there is a chance you may have a damaged one???
Google:
Yes, there are several precautions you should take when handling 2N7000 MOSFETs to prevent ESD damage. These include wearing an anti-static wrist strap, using anti-static tools and handling techniques, and avoiding touching the metal pins or leads of the MOSFETs directly with your fingers
I did wear an ESD strap but there was one moment I may have touched it without it on (durr). Have ordered new parts so will see what happens once replaced!

Okay, I've switched the MOSFETS etc and checked the LM137000's in a different working pedal - all fine. Reflowed all solder joints. Will now check all resistor values to see if any placed wrong but apart from that, I'm stumped

It is standard practice to post a good Picture when Troubleshooting so we the Members can see what we are dealing with ie Resistor values, Electrolytic orientation & general solder quality.

Last edited:
It is standard practice to post a good Picture when Trubleshooting so we the Members can see what we are dealing with ie Resistor values, Electrolytic orientation & general solder quality.
Unfortunately I don't have a camera at the moment (long story) I'll try take a picture or two with my phone but it's absolutely ancient - a Samsung S3

Back