AionFX BSIAB2 (Brown Sound In a Box 2)

MichaelW

This is one of those builds that I planned to build months ago, had all the parts pulled for it sitting in a plastic box, even had an enclosure drilled for it.

But for some reason it's sat on my shelf for MONTHS, as other things kept coming up and pushing this back.

So here's the irony, the enclosure I picked and drilled for this, I wound up re-purposing for my first failed AquaBaby build...which then became the basis for my "fixing borked enclosures" thread.

And now coming full circle, the plugged, sanded, and repainted enclosure is now back to being the pedal it started out being hahahah.

Anyway, the BSIAB2 apparently is a well known DIY circuit that's been around for a long time. Essentially a Marshall in a box type pedal using 2N5457's in place of tubes and my latest in this series of pedals. More specifically this is an "Eddie-in-a-box" pedal. It sounds FABULOUS. I'm so glad I finally built it.

This pedal really nails the "pre-SLO100" EVH sound. It's got a lot of gain but it sounds the most convincingly Eddie with the gain dialed low.
The harmonic content is amazing and pinch harmonics jump out of this pedal.

Of course, I don't play anything like EVH or in that style at all, so figuring out how to use it for me is going to be interesting heh.

Typical Aion build. Great board, same little things about his layouts that I don't like. I'm growing to really detest the daughterboard thing. And the 125B or nothing philosophy. No reason this whole project couldn't be shrunk down significantly.

If you read the build docs, this whole circuits borrows heavily from the DIY community. No subs on this one. I did use the 220nf "more bass" cap and I glad I did. I think it needs it. The "contour" knob is pretty cool.

Better late than never!

Oh and I used the "textured" finish paint and it seems to have covered up the "ghost" holes from my patch pretty well. You can still see them if you look for them.
But that paint was giving me fits.
I had to clean the nozzle constantly in mineral spirits because it kept clogging. Lots of solids in this paint. This might be the last time I use it.

IMG_3835.JPG

IMG_3834.JPG

Edit: I also wanted to add that Aion always gives credit where credit is due in his build docs and history of a given circuit. I really appreciate that!

Last edited:
I really enjoy Aion FX projects. Those projects are second to PPCB in builds I've made. They are always well researched with great documentation. I also like that they include practical substitutions. Especially with transistors. The daughter board thing is a drawback for me. I don't mind it in theory and it's laid out well. But it does limit you from doing anything outside a traditional 125B build, the builds are not mod friendly and my biggest worry is that if your 3DPT goes bad and the board is specific to the build than you are shit out of luck.

This is one of those builds that I planned to build months ago, had all the parts pulled for it sitting in a plastic box, even had an enclosure drilled for it.

But for some reason it's sat on my shelf for MONTHS, as other things kept coming up and pushing this back.

So here's the irony, the enclosure I picked and drilled for this, I wound up re-purposing for my first failed AquaBaby build...which then became the basis for my "fixing borked enclosures" thread.

And now coming full circle, the plugged, sanded, and repainted enclosure is now back to being the pedal it started out being hahahah.

Anyway, the BSIAB2 apparently is a well known DIY circuit that's been around for a long time. Essentially a Marshall in a box type pedal using 2N5457's in place of tubes and my latest in this series of pedals. More specifically this is an "Eddie-in-a-box" pedal. It sounds FABULOUS. I'm so glad I finally built it.

This pedal really nails the "pre-SLO100" EVH sound. It's got a lot of gain but it sounds the most convincingly Eddie with the gain dialed low.
The harmonic content is amazing and pinch harmonics jump out of this pedal.

Of course, I don't play anything like EVH or in that style at all, so figuring out how to use it for me is going to be interesting heh.

Typical Aion build. Great board, same little things about his layouts that I don't like. I'm growing to really detest the daughterboard thing. And the 125B or nothing philosophy. No reason this whole project couldn't be shrunk down significantly.

If you read the build docs, this whole circuits borrows heavily from the DIY community. No subs on this one. I did use the 220nf "more bass" cap and I glad I did. I think it needs it. The "contour" knob is pretty cool.

Better late than never!

Oh and I used the "textured" finish paint and it seems to have covered up the "ghost" holes from my patch pretty well. You can still see them if you look for them.
But that paint was giving me fits.
I had to clean the nozzle constantly in mineral spirits because it kept clogging. Lots of solids in this paint. This might be the last time I use it.

View attachment 35202

View attachment 35203

Edit: I also wanted to add that Aion always gives credit where credit is due in his build docs and history of a given circuit. I really appreciate that!
How could this have slipped my radar! Awesome build as always dude!

I really enjoy Aion FX projects. Those projects are second to PPCB in builds I've made. They are always well researched with great documentation. I also like that they include practical substitutions. Especially with transistors. The daughter board thing is a drawback for me. I don't mind it in theory and it's laid out well. But it does limit you from doing anything outside a traditional 125B build, the builds are not mod friendly and my biggest worry is that if your 3DPT goes bad and the board is specific to the build than you are shit out of luck.
exactly, I don't get bad 3PDT's often but it DOES happen from time to time. Basically you're hosed. Which is why I only used very little solder to connect the lugs, with the hope in a pinch I can remove it without killing the board.

Because I just posted it:) Started it last night, then buttoned it up this morning before starting work. (And before brushing my teeth or combing my hair......)
Your literally a living walking breathing pedal......Amazing the work ethic you have man! Please keep it up its so inspiring dude!

Back