DEMO AionFX Elysium Delay

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I think I mentioned that I was looking to build another delay pedal that would be specific for my Marshall Origin 20H.

My various Deluxe Memory Man pedals work well but because of the Marshall preamp topology, whether running in front of the amp or in the efx loop requires a bunch of different settings from all my other amps and my direct in amp models.
So instead of doing a bunch of knob tweaking when playing the Marshall I decided to build a dedicated delay(s) for it running in the loop that I could just preset and turn on or off as needed.

Right now I'm running my Mad Prof Seabed Delay in it and it sounds pretty darn good, but I've become a bit of an analog snob when it comes to delays. (Thanks to @Guardians of the analog .... :ROFLMAO: )

I've considered punting and building another Skoolie dedicated to the Marshall but I thought I'd look around for something different to build.
So I ordered the Lectric FX Star Chambre. But chatting with Clinton (@blackhatboojum) who has built it, he said that it didn't work very well with his JCM800.
So before plunking down $$'s for the BBD's I decided to see what else there was to build. Clinton recommended the AionFX Elysium....which ironically is a digital delay. But it's not a PT2399, and it sounded interesting, so I decided to check it out.

It's based on the Ibanez EM5 Echo Machine from the "SoundTank" series. I always thought the Soundtank pedals looked like toys heh. But apparently this delay has a pretty big following and they sell for a pretty penny on the used market.

It uses a rather obscure IC, M65831, which is similar to a PT2399 in thats it's a digital IC with an analog interface.
I ordered the chip along with the board from Aion.
The only other gotcha's are that the CMOS Hex inverter IC it uses is also somewhat obscure, SN74HCU04, but Mouser has them.
It also needs 7 1uf Film caps and the standard sized 1uf caps won't fit. You'll either need to use MLCC or get the small form factor WIMA caps. (Both Mouser and Tayda have them).

It's a pretty busy build and looks more like a BBD delay than a typical PT2399.

But man I LOVE how this thing sounds! It's similar to the Seabed but I think a little cleaner sounding. When I say "clean" I mean without the usual inconsistencies of the PT2399. Like the Seabed the repeats have some heavy filtering going on and even a little bit of clipping to emulate a tape delay.
I think it does a superb job. It actually reminds me a lot of the sound of my Strymon El Capistan when I still had one, but without all the features.

It's a pretty simple set of controls, level, delay and feedback. So you can't adjust things like the warble and there's no modulation.
Setting up the trimmers is pretty straightforward with a min delay and a max delay that are somewhat interactive. It can do up ~1000ms.
I wound up with all the trimmers at noon fwiw.

But for a straight up delay it's awesome sounding. Thanks @blackhatboojum for the recommendation!

I recorded a demo on my desktop rig, I haven't had a chance to incorporate it into my pedalboard and test it with the Marshall yet. But I think it's going to work well, particularly as a dual delay with my Seabed.

Also, showing off some tones of my new Epiphone Firebird in the demo as well as the ShamWah build. I was having some issues with a scratchy pot that I got from Smallbear. I cleaned it out with contact cleaner and compressed air twice but it kept acting up. I finally pulled it out and put the original Dunlop pot back in it works fine now. I'm going to contact SmallBear about a replacement. It wasn't cheap.

IMG_5344.JPG

IMG_5343.JPG

That firebird is sweet! I appreciate the demo, great playing as always. I really dig the wah tones you were getting especially.

Super interesting circuit, it looks like a typical PT2399 job until you get to the IC. I took a look at the IC datasheet and I wonder how far off it is from a PT2399 in practice. It looks like it uses an external oscillator to determine the delay time instead of current like the PT2399. I can see the delay times available are theoretically not as long or short. Comparing the internal block diagram, even the internal resistors are the same.

Nicely done. Clean and tight build. I happy to hear you're loving this one. For being digital I'm a big fan of it.
Yup, thanks to you I saved $40 on BBD's...... :ROFLMAO:

(Although I'll probably still build the Star Chambre at some point.......for the sake of science.......:)

Seriously, this one I think even surpasses the Deep Blue Delay for an analog sounding digital delay.

Finally the wah demo we deserve!

@blackhatboojum brought the Elysium to my attention and I thought the big honkin chip looked cool as hell. I personally think digital delays are better but that's just me😎

Yeah that firebird is massive. Definitely don't think I could fw one, but i occasionally catch myself thinking they're very cool.

Do you think about what you're gonna play when you make a demo or do you just roll tape and go with it? I always enjoy watching your demos even when I don't care about the pedal being shown. I very much admire what you've brought to this forum

Finally the wah demo we deserve!

@blackhatboojum brought the Elysium to my attention and I thought the big honkin chip looked cool as hell. I personally think digital delays are better but that's just me😎

Yeah that firebird is massive. Definitely don't think I could fw one, but i occasionally catch myself thinking they're very cool.

Do you think about what you're gonna play when you make a demo or do you just roll tape and go with it? I always enjoy watching your demos even when I don't care about the pedal being shown. I very much admire what you've brought to this forum
Well, if you recall my early demo's on the forum were full out produced songs, which I really enjoy doing.

Then I kinda went crazy with my pedal output and just couldn't keep up so it became just me noodling on whatever that particular pedal inspires me to noodle. So instead of polished songs, you get a butt load off me noodling, warts and all..... :ROFLMAO:

But hopefully you'll also get an idea of how the pedal sounds in the process.

Yup, thanks to you I saved $40 on BBD's...... :ROFLMAO:

(Although I'll probably still build the Star Chambre at some point.......for the sake of science.......:)

Seriously, this one I think even surpasses the Deep Blue Delay for an analog sounding digital delay.
I agree, it’s way better than the deep blue delay. I’ll even go so far as to say, it’s what the pt2399 style delay wishes it was.

I say, go ahead and build the star chambre for yeah… the sake of science 😂😉. In all seriousness though, it would round out the analog delay collection. You’ll have bright and crisp with the memory man, warm and percussive with the dm-2, and dark and sorta murky with the MXR. All the analog delay tones covered 🤘. And Yes… I am an enabler 🤣

Back