Always on boost/low drive pedal

That amp sounds very interesting, SS or tube rectifier? what speaker are you using?
I've been wanting to replace the OT with a MM in the 2204, it's a Classic tone.
I am extreme when it comes to tone, do you think it'd be worth the extra$$?
I mostly use Heyboer.

Thanks again, very much appreciate your time and input.

I have a GZ34 in my tweed because the voltage is too high if I use a SS rectifier. The main reason I use MM trannies is that they make things nobody else does, like the Fatstack transformers and various impedance O/Ts for different speakers and tubes. For example there is no way I could run KT77s in my tweed with a standard power transformer. I love the Fatstack P/Ts because they (a) let the low end sing with less fartiness and mud, and (b) I can use EL34s and KT77s in a 6L6 circuit without worrying about overheating from excess filament current draw.

But I don't think they necessarily sound better per se. They are beautifully built and finished but that doesn't really matter once you put them in a cab. For Marshalls I have had fantastic results with Metroamp and Marstran transformers which I think are made by Heyboer to their specs. Metroamp stuff is great and still available from Valvestorm.com.

pending............. next week, waiting on the enclosure, the IC and a 39k, had it in a 1/2watt.

viewed the amp pic, nice!

I'll be very keen to hear what you think. The Model G is a great OD, but my version is crisper and usable - for me. There is a lot you can experiment with in diodes selection too. These suit me, you may prefer LED, etc.

So it works in bypass and the LED light comes on.
I have no voltages at the transistor so tomorrow I will begin to see what I did not connect properly.

Finished!
HamishR ~ Thank you!

I prefer it at 18v, currently very pleased with the tone, settings are/pictured, going to try it at the beginning of the chain, after the TB MkII pro/fuzz.
I like a very raw, opened, amp like "non" synthetic sounding pedal, and for what I want this for, not changing the voicing of the amp dramatically, obviously nothing is Transparent!!!* This pedal does that in all areas, well done on the alteration.

I'm a little overboard, so when I'm soldering, I'll do one leg at a time, install 3 to 5 items and come back to the 2nd leg, so one of the R's legs was pushed back out, and not soldered, now fixed.

I also forgot about the "C" Treble pot, and was like, man I cannot dial out that treble............lol

BearFoot Model G derivative.jpg

Wow - somebody as anal as me where it comes to neatness. Nice work! Really happy you went through with it and made it as well as you have. Yes it's not "transparent" but that's the point I guess.

Thank you, thank you,
The LED is a little unique as well, I have a bright blue LED and when standing over it it emulates a violet color, normally orange and blue will make brown.

spent more time with it today, this pedal stacks excellent with all my drives and does not matter if it’s in the front or at the end of the drives.

There is a simpler design that I like a lot and was my staple before I found the G. Rockett make a series of nearly identical pedals - The Blue Note, Majestic, Caliber 45 and Animal and I quite like 'em all, with my faves being the 45 and the Majestic. I was playing y 335 through the G today and thought I should compare it with the Majestic - mainly because it was handy. I would almost say that with the 335 I liked the Majestic more, but with the Les Paul and the Gretsch it's the G. So if you're up for another build you can make the Mammal here at PCB or if you want here is a Vero layout for the Majestic:

Majestic.png

For such a simple circuit it's a great sound. It may even be a bit more "transparent" than the G too. :) And 1N4148s work just fine in place of the Ge diodes too.

ive found that the timmy seems to play well with any amp, and stacks into all my other pedals with no weirdness. a great od/booster.

do you think it would fall into the Bluesbreaker/Prince of Tone area?, I built it using a 4558"P" in that one.
I may take a shot at that in the future. I have pending, a JO amz mini booster, Dung Beetle & Informant.

@mywmyw, I'm not a big fan of the Timmy, it is a very good pedal, just did not work for me.

Thanks, for the replies and your time!

Have you considered that your pickups/guitar wiring might be what needs to be swapped? Might be that going to a different style SC/HB/P90 might get you where you want to be tonally

I know depending on what guitar i'm using dictates which pedal & amp sounds best with it, but I fully endorse trying as many pedals as possible too

Thank you, UTF
yes, I have done extensive testing in, PU's ~ height of PU's/magnets ~ etc., also speakers (14) in the last 2½yrs, cab design, type of wood, ported/closed back/open back.
my personality can be a little intense ~ ****this is just a reply, nothing more!

The Timmy is an interesting pedal. It has so many admirers - including almost all of my guitar-playing friends! I like the Timmy and think that the newer version (Timmy III) is a better pedal than the original as it is a more focused sound. My main complaint is that for me it's a bit wishy-washy and doesn't have much character, which is presumably what so many guys like about it! Whatever gear I have used it with it has been a bit too loose on the low end so subject to a bit of flabbiness on the bass strings. The mids have little character or personality and personality is what I want from an overdrive - your needs may be different.

To me the Majestic is clearly a simplified Timmy and some say poorly designed - I don't know enough to judge that although I am learning about these things. To me the important aspect is that it sounds really good which is kinda the point, isn't it? :) I like the Majestic because it has the bits of a Timmy that I like - the clarity and and control - but has a better defined low end and a hint more aggression in the mids. It has a bit more colour which suits my Gretsch and my Gibsons.

Then you get to the G which is nothing like either and a much more complex sound. It may not suit everyone as it is a more specific sound but it really suits me. It does the clean-to-dirty thing exceptionally well, has a beautifully clear, tight low end with my gear, a good amount of bite and bags of midrange character. Where a drive like the Zendrive just slathers on huge gobs of midrange to make your guitar chirp the G has a more distinctive sound. Loads of mids but more colour in there.

None of these pedals is better or worse. It's just what suits the player and the sound you have in your head. I like all of 'em. This is a great hobby.

Oh, BTW - here is a modified layout of the Majestic after talking with Chuck about some of the shortcomings. I haven't built it yet but will shortly.

Majestic Chuck.png

(Built this and swapped B10K treble pot to C10K)

Last edited:
I built the second version (Chuck's mods) today and I think I will change the B10K treble pot to a C10K. I'll update the layout above.

how does the updated build sound? I ordered the parts last night and they did not have the C25k.
A C50k will be fine? or do I need to run a 50k/R across 1 & 3?

Thanks,

Running a 50K across 1 + 3 of a C50 will do the trick - strangely enough that's what Rockett did with the early Animal pedals when they couldn't get C25K pots either! C50 on its own might be fine too.

In my updated build the C10 for Treble worked perfectly. I've built so many ODs in the past year I had forgotten just how good these Rockett circuits are. The Majestic isn't as complex a sound as the G but is still very usable and a good one to have in addition to the G. And I'm sure you know that if the 100K gain pot doesn't get dirty enough for you try a higher value - 250k, 500k and 1M are all fine to get more dirt.

And FWIW it looks like Stompboxparts.com have C25K pots. I got mine from Mouser.

Back