Favorite low gain drive pedal on pedal Pcb?

Back to the OP: I also recommend Son of Ben. I recently built it and it sounds ace into my TK Imperial (I guess a Fender Deluxe on steroids?).

It's funny - I used to buy PCBs from Fuzz Dog and Aion but these days it's almost entirely PedalPCB. Mainly because Robert has more new stuff than anyone else I think.

As far as mods go - I'm with Robert in that I don't want loads of options necessarily - I especially don't like pedals with loads of switches. Generally if I want to mod something which can't be done easily on the PCB then I'll just build it on Vero. I much prefer Vero for anything where I'll be swapping components because it's much more forgiving for parts switching. I prefer not to swap bits on PCB at all. I will if I can sometimes but there is always the risk that I'll bugger the whole board.

Getting back to the OP: I am LOVING my Snozzberry OD. With a couple of simple mods of course. :)

Much love for Chop Shop here too, but I’m gonna recommend Champ Stamp. Or, the Mercurial, which continually proves itself to be that little tone tweak that I was searching for, over and over.

"TRANSITRON" — a ridiculously huge transistor and a great name for a pedal.
Bonus points if the Transitron could actually be used in a pedal build, mounted outside the enclosure.

Even if it could be unscrewed apart, hide some TO-92 stuff inside (looks like an entire boost circuit would fit) and then have the N208A as the pedal's sole knob...

WANT!

Can someone tell me if there are any Electra based overdrives from PPCB? I am considering the Special K but wondering if there are any others

I'm looking for something that adds a little grit around the edges without adding the little background fizz that usually comes with it

Can’t check schematics at the moment to see if I’m correct, but I’ve heard that a bunch of the eqd one boosts/drives (arrows, spires, special cranker, speaker cranker) are Electra variants. Don’t have any firsthand experience with them or even a reference of their sound to go by, but you could start by checking out the ppcb boards for any of those.

Can’t check schematics at the moment to see if I’m correct, but I’ve heard that a bunch of the eqd one boosts/drives (arrows, spires, special cranker, speaker cranker) are Electra variants. Don’t have any firsthand experience with them or even a reference of their sound to go by, but you could start by checking out the ppcb boards for any of those.
Yeah Special Cranker is the one I'm looking at that's electra. I have a Speaker Cranker and I like it

BUMP!

@innerlight — What did you go for in the end:
Chop Shop, Red Herring, or something else entirely?

@Bricksnbeatles — addendum to an aspect of your post #24
Hi!
I built them all hahah
But I have to say the Chop shop did the trick. I love this thing!
The Red Herring was too drivey. Like a light distortion even at low settings.
I also keep going back to the Simulcast.

My favorites have been the already mentioned Mach 1. But lately two I've really fallen in love with are the Bullrush Drive (Providence SOV2) and the Acer Drive (Altere Kaede) I absolutely love how both sound at the low to med end of the gain range.
They're both voiced similarly but the Acer has a lot more low end response.

My latest honeymoon is with the Guardian OD. (Thorpy Peacekeeper) Just buttoned it up yesterday. It's actually got quite a lot of gain on tap but it's probably the most "transparent" drive I've ever played. Really really versatile low to medium gain drive both as a standalone drive or pushing a dirty amp. I'll post a demo later today.

Can someone tell me if there are any Electra based overdrives from PPCB? I am considering the Special K but wondering if there are any others

I'm looking for something that adds a little grit around the edges without adding the little background fizz that usually comes with it
I think Copper Clad Fuzz is Electra-based, but not what you want since it's obviously more than just "a little grit around the edges".

I think some of the Lovepedal stuff is Electra too, but can't tell you offhand which one would work for you. The Gent Overdrive maybe?

Edit: That one isn't Electra actually, I think.

Back
Top Bottom