Ample Alpaca (Way Huge Red Llama)

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
So here's my paltry entry to today's build report forum. Make me feel so weak compared to @szukalski and @mhshizz's offerrings....hahaha.

I've always been curious about this pedal and loved some of the demo's I've heard of it. I picked this one up for an easy peasy evening build.
Which is exactly what I did last night after supper. Very low parts count, wrapped it up in about an hour.

So this is a pedal that somehow doesn't translate well for me and my rig/playing style. It's very cool sounding but not really a sound I can find a use for.
Hard to describe, but you all know what a Llama sounds like. Kinda fuzzy....very warm, very bassy. Got some gated fuzz going on at higher gain settings.

It's not very articulate for single line stuff. Sounds better on my Strat than P90's or HB's. Still messing with it a bit before it goes on the shelf.

Smooth build, no issues.

IMG_3650.JPG

IMG_3649.JPG

It looks great! I think my build output is lower but I am lazier in producing build reports. Same with the "What's on my workbench" offerings, a lot of vero/breadboard is unseen..

This is a pedal on my interest list, but I never buy the PCB due to conflicts.

Mate, you just killed it with your wiring on this one. Really satisfying.

So here's my paltry entry to today's build report forum. Make me feel so weak compared to @szukalski and @mhshizz's offerrings....hahaha.

I've always been curious about this pedal and loved some of the demo's I've heard of it. I picked this one up for an easy peasy evening build.
Which is exactly what I did last night after supper. Very low parts count, wrapped it up in about an hour.

So this is a pedal that somehow doesn't translate well for me and my rig/playing style. It's very cool sounding but not really a sound I can find a use for.
Hard to describe, but you all know what a Llama sounds like. Kinda fuzzy....very warm, very bassy. Got some gated fuzz going on at higher gain settings.

It's not very articulate for single line stuff. Sounds better on my Strat than P90's or HB's. Still messing with it a bit before it goes on the shelf.

Smooth build, no issues.

View attachment 33892

View attachment 33893
Your lucky you have the Tone control version of this pedal, it could sound worse!
I don't own any of the Way Huge pedal's, I purchased a few for a Mate of mine.
I tried them & rang him the same day to come and Grab them!

I’ve been looking at these for a while. Another great build dude. I still have not yet been able to do too jacks on one of these enclosures, always pinched. I need to revisit your thread on doing it right.

Yah I’m thinking about how it might sound stacked with a treble booster of some sort. Maybe after the duo cast? Might be cool. More noodling to come later today! But I also have a Waffle on the bench waiting to be built….and paint drying on an enclosure for my Jump drive. All @szukalski influenced builds. He’s my “Chief Enabler”:)

Got one of these on my workbench. Read in a post by Mr Bones on here somewhere that the CD4049 does better at around 4v and that he changes the 1k resistor to a 2.2k. Currently have it socketed on mine, will be interested to hear what difference it makes.
I'd be interested in how that turns out for you. I'm not sure if it's just too much fuzz or just the nature of the beast. Great for laying down a wall of sound. Not so much for playing subtle, clever, tasty, pentatonic licks (which is all I got.....hahahah......)

I recently built a 2 knob red llama. For me, it sounds great with the unwound strings but loses definition and gets a bit wooly on the wound strings. I wish it had a bit more oompf and clarity in the bass.

Yah I’m thinking about how it might sound stacked with a treble booster of some sort. Maybe after the duo cast? Might be cool. More noodling to come later today! But I also have a Waffle on the bench waiting to be built….and paint drying on an enclosure for my Jump drive. All @szukalski influenced builds. He’s my “Chief Enabler”:)
Waffle + Mojito should go well together as well.

Evidently @szukalski is very good at that.

Smooth build, no issues.

View attachment 33892

View attachment 33893
Hi there! How did you wire the jacks? Trying to finish this one without documentation!

Back