Angry Andy Plus... the beginning

Nic

Build Rating
4.00 star(s)
So here it is, my first ever build, the one where it all started. @MichaelW will remember that pedal because I've had some discussions with him about "finishing" that build.

So to start, I started this build with a lot of confidence: I'll rearrange the pots so they make sense to me, spread them apart to look nice in a 1590BB2 and have place for a battery... let's just days I made no test layout at all and ended up almost ruining the enclosure, and no way a battery will ever fit there :ROFLMAO: .

The build went good for a first. Some time to learn soldering correctly, trouble with stray wires, no reversed led (thanks to lighted 3pdt) but reversed jacks.

Once this was corrected, I plugged it in, and it started sqealing like a flayed pig... I reached for the power while the wife wondering what was happening.

Than the real challenge began. I've checked every joint, re-routed pot wiring, added shielded in/out wires. It was better, but I still could not get more than 75% on the boost with the drive engage before it would start the banshee thing.

So, about a month ago, I started thinking that maybe I could try a new IC. And it did the trick. It's noisy if I crank everything up, but more on the normal side of things.

So, for my impressions, OMG this pedal is mean, it gets loud and has tons of gain... like too much for me. It's not a keeper for me but was good learning tool.

20221010_151851.jpg

For the theme, I went to some graphics that would clash with the "angry" name, some kind of retro-monochromatic-rainbowy-thing. Once again was learning to to graphics on the computer and used printing clear label covered with clear coat. I may have mislabeled the switch options (@Robert, I like how your documentation is simple, but I always woder how those switches position should be labeled :ROFLMAO:) Anyway, thanks for that new hobby in my life.

20221010_151751.jpg

20230105_221556.jpg

Interesting, so a different LM833 did the trick? I've built two of these and they both squeal in certain settings. (Boost on, gain at noon).

I'm wondering what @Robert changed in the new revision of the board. Thinking about taking another shot at it. It's a great high gain Marshally "Crunchbox" (see what I did there? hahah) kinda pedal.

At noon, it could have been ok under some condition. With tone set on the treble side and boost cranked up it would squeal. With the new 833 it's much better. They both came from Tayda, but the two look

Great first build! If you like the pedal overall, but it’s just too much gain, that can usually be addressed with a few resistor changes.

But, with so many lower gain boards available, I’m sure you will have to build several other pedals, to see what they’re all like. This to me is sort of the joke answer to going DIY to save money… just have fun!

• Love
Reactions: Nic
Don't worry, it WAS my first built, just had a hard time getting it to work right ;)

I'm about 10 projects completed now, I find I'm more of a fuzz guy :) But my next project is to hardwire an El Sol. Stay tuned ...

Back