Angry Charles: General Component Questions

Caldo71

I have a separate thread just started on my Angry Charles build trying to suss out one issue, but apart from that I had two general newb-ish questions for @PedalPCB on component choices:
  1. I own a "real" Angry Charlie, and I notice that while the PedalPCB Angry Charles spec's the 3mm red LEDs, my off-the-shelf Angry Charlie uses the bigger 5mm ones. Why the decision to use the smaller ones, and/or does size even MATTER with LED clipping, or is the tone, breakup and resistance values the same regardless of which size one goes with?

2. My ff-the-shelf Angry Charlie can use up to an 18v power supply for increased headroom—is the PedalPCB version similar enough in circuit that the sqme is true? Or will I "blow it up" if I try to use more than 9V?
Thanks in advance!

I have a separate thread just started on my Angry Charles build trying to suss out one issue, but apart from that I had two general newb-ish questions for @PedalPCB on component choices:
  1. I own a "real" Angry Charlie, and I notice that while the PedalPCB Angry Charles spec's the 3mm red LEDs, my off-the-shelf Angry Charlie uses the bigger 5mm ones. Why the decision to use the smaller ones, and/or does size even MATTER with LED clipping, or is the tone, breakup and resistance values the same regardless of which size one goes with?

2. My ff-the-shelf Angry Charlie can use up to an 18v power supply for increased headroom—is the PedalPCB version similar enough in circuit that the sqme is true? Or will I "blow it up" if I try to use more than 9V?
Thanks in advance!
The size of the LEDs doesn't matter 3mm and 5mm will still have the same specs - check the data sheet if you're ever unsure.

As far as the Angry Charles: I am still new to reading schematics and am learning still, but it looks to me as if the Angry Charles has a built in charge pump that is upping the voltage to 18v internally. I'm sure someone will correct me here if I got this wrong. Not sure what'd happen if you plugged in an 18v power source, though.

Last edited:
The Angry Charles is based on the Angry Charlie V3, it sounds like you have a V2.

There are some fairly significant differences between the two versions...

V2 used 5mm Red LEDs for clipping, V3 uses SMD LEDs... I didn't think the majority would want to bother with soldering SMD LEDs, so 3mm were used instead.

V2 also used a single LM833 opamp, where the V3 uses an LM833 and TL072. (one extra stage for the active tone stack)

As long as your electrolytic caps are rated at 25V or higher you can power the Angry Charlie on 18V if you'd prefer. There is no onboard charge pump. I believe what peccary is seeing is the Vref buffer.

The Angry Charles is based on the Angry Charlie V3, it sounds like you have a V2.

There are some fairly significant differences between the two versions...

V2 used 5mm Red LEDs for clipping, V3 uses SMD LEDs... I didn't think the majority would want to bother with soldering SMD LEDs, so 3mm were used instead.

V2 also used a single LM833 opamp, where the V3 uses an LM833 and TL072. (one extra stage for the active tone stack)

As long as your electrolytic caps are rated at 25V or higher you can power the Angry Charlie on 18V if you'd prefer. There is no onboard charge pump. I believe what peccary is seeing is the Vref buffer.

Thanks for that, I always find it's best to put a disclaimer after most things I say :)

Back