Another small Vox done

HamishR

Pretty sure I have posted pics of the innards of this amp before... Otherwise it's no good because I forgot to take any pics this time. This is an amp I built for a friend a few months ago but he didn't like the cab. At the time all I had was black "Western" tolex, and he wanted blond. So I built another, smaller cab, moved the chassis to the top of the cab so I could make the cab smaller and had to change the control plate so that it wasn't upside down. I know a guy who works at a place which does engraved panels for trophies, signage, etc and he did a beautiful job. The original panel was red but I much prefer the textured black he made for me.

It's a 15W Vox style amp with AC30 style tone controls.With a Celestion G12H Creamback it sounds huge. The cab is solid fingerjointed pine with a 1/4 ply baffle. It's a big sound! I really think the solid pine and thin baffle makes for a great sound. It's a kinda tweed amp recipe.

Robsvox01.JPG

Reminds me of a Mesa lone star! Beautiful color combo but I couldn't get the video to play :sneaky:. Wait, lemme guess, no video either???

One of the projects I'm going to do this year is a Matchless Lightning 15w using the iron from a Hammond A043 organ amp. I just finished up the layout for it and now that it's warming up am getting ready to cut the circuit board and swag the turrets in. Well, as soon as I get the 5 foot tall weeds cut back. We had like 40 inches of rain this season, insane.....

Here's the layout I made in Visio so I can just print out the 'holes only' view to drill the board and blank chassis. It's sized for a Hammond 17 x 8 x 3 enclosure. The second output jack is a 'line out' (oops, guess I forgot to label that make that *almost finished layout*). So using EL84's like an AC15 and also rated at 15w.

Lightning Layout V02.2023 screen resolution.jpg

The fella who owns it does do a bit of recording from time to time so I'll see what he has.

Thanks for all the comments guys! It makes all the sweat and dust worthwhile. :)

Pretty sure I have posted pics of the innards of this amp before... Otherwise it's no good because I forgot to take any pics this time. This is an amp I built for a friend a few months ago but he didn't like the cab. At the time all I had was black "Western" tolex, and he wanted blond. So I built another, smaller cab, moved the chassis to the top of the cab so I could make the cab smaller and had to change the control plate so that it wasn't upside down. I know a guy who works at a place which does engraved panels for trophies, signage, etc and he did a beautiful job. The original panel was red but I much prefer the textured black he made for me.

It's a 15W Vox style amp with AC30 style tone controls.With a Celestion G12H Creamback it sounds huge. The cab is solid fingerjointed pine with a 1/4 ply baffle. It's a big sound! I really think the solid pine and thin baffle makes for a great sound. It's a kinda tweed amp recipe.

View attachment 45764
That is pretty!

Back