A couple of new amps - not 100% finished but making sound

HamishR

First of all I promised I would post some pics of a JTM45 I just finished once I received the replacement OT from Mercury Magnetics. I had received a DOA OT from them which is kind of unusual. But now it's done, short of building a cabinet to put it in. It will be as small as 1x12 combo with a Celestion G12H as I can make it. I'll be using solid pine and a tweed style baffle because I love the sound of that style of cabinet. Plus it's lighter than your typical Marshall style birch ply cab. And a JTM45 is really a tweed circuit anyway...

JTM45 int.JPG

I use a slight variation on the typical Marshall grounding scheme. I don't solder the buss wire to the back of the pots because that creates ground loops and hum. I solder them only the the lug on the pot that goes to ground and then connect the buss wire to a point on the chassis just behind the first volume pot. You can see in the pic a brass nut just behind the normal channel's pot - that's it. As a result there is no hum coming from the amp. If you listen closely there is a hint of white noise when the volume is at playing levels. If you crank the amp there is more white noise but I'm ok with that.

All the hardware came from Valvestorm. Transformers are Mercury Magnetic and anything else came from Antique Electronic. I love the holey turret board.

And here is a 6G3 Brown Deluxe I also built recently. I was inspired to build this after playing a Suhr Hombre in a store recently. It's a great sounding amp. I had built a 6G3 a few years ago but I swear this one sounds better. I'm not sure what I did differently.

Br Dlx int.JPG

@RetiredUnit1 will be pleased - no cloth covered wire! Ok there might be one piece... But mostly it's PVC coated multi strand pre-tinned wire. I followed Mr Psionic Audio's recommendations on grounding, including the use of a massive soldering iron to do the grounds near the PT. As a result the amp is actually hum-free at playing levels. In fact when a friend came around to try it yesterday he didn't even realise it was on and got a shock when I turned the tuner off and his guitar strumming was suddenly loud. This is why I love to continually learn this stuff. You can always improve.

Chassis, fibreboards and faceplates are Mojotone. Transformers MM, and all other parts Antique Electronics. I added a BF style bias pot, which needed a little tweaking to work with the 6G3 circuit. Otherwise it's actually pretty stock. I did swap a tremolo cap to slow the trem down a little, but that's a fairly common mod. I accidentally tore the paper at the top of the PT while installing it so used some masking tape to stop it tearing any further.

Also added a NFB switch right by the speaker out. At my usual playing volumes removing the NFB sounds great - a bit like a Loudness switch on an old hifi. It adds lows and highs and a bit of liveliness. But when you want to crank the amp having the NFB in place helps it to not get too ragged. Having the switch is cool.

Once I have a cab for this I can see myself using it a lot. I'm currently playing it through my 5E3 cab so it should sound much the same in its own cab. It's very similar to the 5E3 but has a little more midrange and headroom. And the tremolo is as good as tremolo gets.

I love how easy it is to get quality parts to build these amps these days. I would encourage anyone who has the inclination to try building themselves an amp because once you learn how to do it shop-bought amps won't cut it anymore!

Last edited:
hell yes it's tube amp time
holy crap these builds are absolutely stunning.
ive been sitting a JTM45 kit for a couple years... this is pretty inspiring

were-not-worthy-waynes-world.gif

keen to hear some demos / clips 🤟

Killer! Once I get proper space I’m gonna dive into an amp or two. I have a madamp kit in a drawer as a jumping off point, just need to get a voltage converter to plug it into as it’s EU voltage.

Reactions: fig
Damn @HamishR, it's a good thing we don't live in the same country, I'd go broke commissioning your amp builds.....
You fellas are too kind! Wow. Thing is I just love doing this and it's not that hard. I have the time so I take it and it doesn't take that long anyway. The most time-consuming aspect is waiting for parts. The way I see it is that if you have to connect a wire between two points why not do it the best way you can? It doesn't take any longer and will work better and look good. Using less wire makes everything look simpler and more legible. But I still have plenty to learn.

And it's funny you say that, @MichaelW! A friend of mine just told me he has five of my amps now. I sell them as I run out of room to keep them and they do the rounds of guitar geeks here. He has managed to accumulate a few... Once you learn how to make them the amps in the shops don't sound so good any more. I reckon most guys here could do this. Some of the pedals I have seen here are pristine. Way better than anything I could do.This really is the best forum I have encountered in 20 years.

Thanks!

Looking sweet!

Since I just finished my 5F6-A bassman board today, I think your foil end is wrong in one spot..... This is a layout showing the proper bassman foil end directions. Since Jim Marshall admitted he copied this design when making the JTM45.....

5F6A TE 59 Bassman v07.10.23.jpg

And but of course a pic of the board I finished today. 16ga tinned copper preamp ground bus on the board.

done.jpeg

Looking sweet!

Since I just finished my 5F6-A bassman board today, I think your foil end is wrong in one spot..... This is a layout showing the proper bassman foil end directions. Since Jim Marshall admitted he copied this design when making the JTM45.....

View attachment 65942

And but of course a pic of the board I finished today. 16ga tinned copper preamp ground bus on the board.

View attachment 65944
I've never seen that before. Interesting. I certainly can't hear it in the JTM45! And I always wonder which is the foil end on the Mallory 150s I sometimes use - as far as I know they're not marked. I wonder how vital it is?

I've never seen that before. Interesting. I certainly can't hear it in the JTM45! And I always wonder which is the foil end on the Mallory 150s I sometimes use - as far as I know they're not marked. I wonder how vital it is?
The outer foil acts like shielding when it's connected to the side with the least impedance, so the caps won't pickup stray EM from the heaters or transformers.

If you have an oscilloscope there's 'how to' use those to find foil end on youtube, but you can construct a simple audio tester see video below.

When I did this I found out there's a HUGE difference in capacitors. PIO capacitors are so impervious to EM that it is almost impossible to determine the foil end. However, yellow sozo's picked up the sound of the neon light I was using and buzzed like a chain saw!

The outer foil acts like shielding when it's connected to the side with the least impedance, so the caps won't pickup stray EM from the heaters or transformers.

If you have an oscilloscope there's 'how to' use those to find foil end on youtube, but you can construct a simple audio tester see video below.

When I did this I found out there's a HUGE difference in capacitors. PIO capacitors are so impervious to EM that it is almost impossible to determine the foil end. However, yellow sozo's picked up the sound of the neon light I was using and buzzed like a chain saw!

i initially grabbed a small cheap oscilloscope (DSO112A) to do exactly this on previous amp builds.

not sure if it's user error, shitty device, or otherwise, but sometimes it's really hard to tell a difference in 'noise' between the x2 ends.
i've mostly done this with radial orange drop caps - maybe they're less susceptible to this noise / shielding phenomena - where traditional axials appear be more prone to it?

Back