Anvil Fuzz

VanWhy

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
This is the Anvil Fuzz AKA the Liberty Bell Fuzz AKA the Mojo Hand Iron Bell.

This is touted as a Gilmour type fuzz. I really like it. It's not super thick. It's more open than a standard Muff but still creamy. It almost reminds me of the Danube Fuzz. Except the Anvil seems to have more low end. The tone and colour knobs are pretty cool. Gives some nice flexibility.

I couldn't take a good pedal pic if my life depended on it. I need some tips for taking those sweet pedal glamor shots.

I did a little bit of the spray paint splatter I thought came out cool. Subtle but just enough to add some pizzazz.

Fun and easy as always.

Attachments

• 20231018_123221.jpg
    20231018_123221.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 20231018_123044.jpg
    20231018_123044.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 20231018_123052.jpg
    20231018_123052.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 20231018_123242.jpg
    20231018_123242.jpg
    494.9 KB · Views: 44
This is the Anvil Fuzz AKA the Liberty Bell Fuzz AKA the Mojo Hand Iron Bell.

This is touted as a Gilmour type fuzz. I really like it. It's not super thick. It's more open than a standard Muff but still creamy. It almost reminds me of the Danube Fuzz. Except the Anvil seems to have more low end. The tone and colour knobs are pretty cool. Gives some nice flexibility.

I couldn't take a good pedal pic if my life depended on it. I need some tips for taking those sweet pedal glamor shots.

I did a little bit of the spray paint splatter I thought came out cool. Subtle but just enough to add some pizzazz.

Fun and easy as always.
Beauty! Really good pics seem to require a light box, but yours are already light years ahead if mine! Nicely done!

Nice! I'm glad PPCB has a board for this now, I've been wanting to build an Iron Bell forever and never got around to it.

You and I had the same idea about graphics :p

Sweet build, really digging the splatter.

re Photo Quality:
I tried to find some info on Chris' DIY light box photo-booth, but it was discussed in a build thread or "What's on your bench?"
I thought I'd marked it, printed it off or something, but scouring my hard-drive it came up empty of "light box", "photo booth" and other similar search terms. Might be on my old computer, as I need all the help I can get when it comes to photography.

I think MichaelW mentioned somewhere he just uses a blank piece of paper as a backdrop, IIRC.

Naturally there's tons of DIY photography-light-box tips online, youtube how-to vids etc, but it's always more fun to keep it in the family, so to speak, and learn from fellow pedal-builders.

My tip would be LOTS of light, sources from all sides, will help.

Back to the Anvil... the schematic is based on the Skreddy Muff, which IIRC Marc "Skreddy" Ahlfs made publicly available.
In addition Kit Rae posted his trace on his Big Muff Page:

49 Iron Bell Schematic.jpg

Note Kit's note just below the above schematic 👆

According to Dave on EL, "the Iron Bell came out with a few mods, the biggest of which is the replacement of the Mids switch with a potentiometer and a few value changes".

Curious to find out what those value-mods were... Hopefully Robert releases the schematic soonish.

Sweet build, really digging the splatter.

re Photo Quality:
I tried to find some info on Chris' DIY light box photo-booth, but it was discussed in a build thread or "What's on your bench?"
I thought I'd marked it, printed it off or something, but scouring my hard-drive it came up empty of "light box", "photo booth" and other similar search terms. Might be on my old computer, as I need all the help I can get when it comes to photography.

I think MichaelW mentioned somewhere he just uses a blank piece of paper as a backdrop, IIRC.

Naturally there's tons of DIY photography-light-box tips online, youtube how-to vids etc, but it's always more fun to keep it in the family, so to speak, and learn from fellow pedal-builders.

My tip would be LOTS of light, sources from all sides, will help.

Back to the Anvil... the schematic is based on the Skreddy Muff, which IIRC Marc "Skreddy" Ahlfs made publicly available.
In addition Kit Rae posted his trace on his Big Muff Page:

View attachment 58709

Note Kit's note just below the above schematic 👆

According to Dave on EL, "the Iron Bell came out with a few mods, the biggest of which is the replacement of the Mids switch with a potentiometer and a few value changes".

Curious to find out what those value-mods were... Hopefully Robert releases the schematic soonish.
Thanks man. And thanks for taking the time to offer some advice. It's much appreciated. Really helps me learn.

That's really cool that it confirms my P19/Iron Bell theory. I'm actually impressed I correlated the two. I played the Anvil more last night and I am really liking it. I certainly recommend an Anvil build.

Looks great! Have you had any further thoughts/observations on the Anvil compared to the Danube/P19? The latter was on my radar because I had been specifically looking for a less bassy Muff, though I'm now wondering if the Anvil could be more versatile (given the mids pot vs. the P19's switch).

Looks great! Have you had any further thoughts/observations on the Anvil compared to the Danube/P19? The latter was on my radar because I had been specifically looking for a less bassy Muff, though I'm now wondering if the Anvil could be more versatile (given the mids pot vs. the P19's switch).
Thanks! Having compared the 2, I just like the Anvil better. They both do a good job of removing the potential flubby-ness from a Muff but the Danube just sounds thinner. Where the Anvil has a nice amount of low end. The colour knob is super handy to dial in compared to the just having the switch.

Back