Any PPCB or other Boss DD-3 (digital delay) clones?

MattG

Using the "clone" word loosely. I'm basically looking for a simple (three knobs, no switches) digital delay that could be used in place of the Boss DD-3 (or, actually, I'm using a DD-8 in "standard" mode, which I'm assuming is more or less the same as a DD-3).

A true clone is probably impossible (reverse engineering the programming of whatever DSP Roland uses), but presumably we could get close with e.g. FV-1 or maybe even PT2399?

Anyone ever explore something like this?

Big fan and long time user of an OG DD-3 here. I can’t speak for FV-1 but, I can tell you that nothing in the pt2399 realm has the repeat degradation like the DD-3. I’ve built and tried many. The pt2399 is its own thing just as the Boss proprietary dsp used in their delays is its own thing.

(or, actually, I'm using a DD-8 in "standard" mode, which I'm assuming is more or less the same as a DD-3).
Could be wrong but I think the "warm" mode in the DD-8 is supposed to be a DD-2/3 emulation?

The DD-2/3 really is something special in the world of digital delays, I dunno if any of the FV-1 delay algos out there currently model the analog bits in the audio path?

What about an Ibanez EM5 clone? I built an aion elysium, which is now a full kit. I also have a vector delay (Mad Prof deep sea blue clone) that uses a pt2399.
The elysium uses a M65831AP, sounds a lil warmer than the pt2399 vector. Mines calibrated for 800ms. There are demos of both on their site.

3 knobs no switches 800ms.

I’d want a DD-2 rather than DD3. The 3s I’ve played have been pretty bright. The DD5 can be found for cheap which is pretty cool but it’s bright also. I wouldn’t expect any PT2399 based pedal to match a DD2/3 except for slap back. They seem to degrade around 400ms or so. I’ve only tried about 4 though.

I’d be curious if something similar to a DD2 tonewise as well. The Ibanez DE-7 sounds suprisingly good.

The DMD-2 isn't quite a DD2, but there is a connection.

Several years ago a friend asked if I could build a pedal similar to the Cornish TES (which is based around a Boss DD-2 with some add-ons)...

He sent me a Boss DD-2, we gutted it, added an LFO for modulation, adjustable filtering on the repeats, a dry kill switch, and an additional footswitch to change the time base. The DMD-1 was born. I believe two of these were built.
1712440435602.png

A friend of his wanted one, but wanted to go a different route and use the FV-1 circuit for the delay instead of the DD-2, so the first DMD-2 was born.
1712440533807.png

A couple years later someone else wanted one, but in a smaller format, so the extra footswitch was dropped and it was put into a 125B. That is the current DMD-2.
1712440960413.png

I defo have to get one at some stage. Really want to see how one would work on bass. Get some jaco tones on my fretless maybe.

What about an Ibanez EM5 clone? I built an aion elysium, which is now a full kit. I also have a vector delay (Mad Prof deep sea blue clone) that uses a pt2399.
The elysium uses a M65831AP, sounds a lil warmer than the pt2399 vector. Mines calibrated for 800ms. There are demos of both on their site.

3 knobs no switches 800ms.
the Elysium sounds amazing, I built it from the kit and I just love it. lush and warm, I would not call it "lofi" or anything like that. It's very smooth.

Just my two cents.

@Robert I can’t imagine gutting a DD-2! I opened mine and NOPE! Mine was a rats nest someone had worked on it before. There’s a lot going on in that little pedal though.

@Robert I can’t imagine gutting a DD-2!

I had another friend who wanted his vintage V3 Big Muff "rehoused" into a 125B.... and by rehoused I mean he wanted all of the components pulled and installed into a PCB similar to the Muffin PCB.

I still have the original PCB husk and enclosure around here somewhere.

I think I’d still prefer that over gutting a DD2 lol! How many wires broke during the muff project lol? I have one of the Sovtek big box v7d muffs, basically a bubble font but in black. I’ve been meaning to replace the wiring and add a dc jack to it but those things are so fragile. I need to sell it but it’s one of the last “classics” I haven’t let go of. I finally sold my big box DEM a few weeks ago and it still hurts lol. Same with the DD2, CS2 and big box DMM.

Man you should consider putting that v3 back together would nicer or nos components. It’s probably sell well. Bet Kit Rae would buy it.
I had another friend who wanted his vintage V3 Big Muff "rehoused" into a 125B.... and by rehoused I mean he wanted all of the components pulled and installed into a PCB similar to the Muffin PCB.

I still have the original PCB husk and enclosure around here somewhere.

Back