DEMO Aurum low gain gain mode

This post contains an audio or video demo

Guardians of the analog

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
1000010902.jpg
Here's a pedal I finished a little while back and am finally sharing with you. The OD-2 was the inception of the discrete opamp circuitry in boss pedals. The predecessor to the BD-2, and the springboard for both the BD-2 and OD-3. What sets this one apart is that the pedal has two modes. Mode 1 is the lower gain mode I built here, and mode 2 kicks everything up a notch, and that pedal will be featured in the future.

So what does the pedal sound like? Well, it's got that distinct boss overdrive sound, the one with asymmetrical clipping, and the signature midrange punch, but this one uses transistors to for a discreet opamp. It's got a nice dynamic range and if you're a sucker for the SD-1 you'll probably like this pedal. It's also one of a few and I think the first boss pedal to have two circuits in one pedal. This was built on the Aion board and was made for mode 2, which has additional components for higher gain at lower voltages. This required some surgery, I had to omit, jumper and reroute parts, a long with adding the clipping diodes to a mlcc cap. It was fun and I learned a fair bit about the circuit. The original had dual concentric pots to handle both higher and lower gain modes but I decided to just both modes independently.

For the enclosure I went with a cream tayda enclosure and UV print. I went with sentry for my theme of aurum yellow. Another clean and satisfying build, and maybe one day it would be fun to do a layout with both modes and an order switcher for the full pedal experience. The demos I have were from testing and initial boxing up.
WRa5qe5.png
lixo47m.png
eTSowSU.jpg
DBmHnFW.jpg
c3amIge.jpeg

Last edited:
Back