Basic Relay Bypass (Latching) - LED changes but stays bypassed

slowpogo

I'm using the Basic Relay Bypass (Latching) with the Copper Clad Fuzz. No substitutions, everything is stock part values. The LED turns on/off with the footswitch, but the sound doesn't change.

The bypass board's IN and OUT pads (from the jacks) maintain continuity, regardless of the LED state. So while I don't actually know if the Copper Clad is functioning correctly, it's a moot point for now because the signal isn't even getting there.

I have not used a relay bypass before so I'm hoping someone can see what I did wrong.

IMG_2572.jpg

IMG_2573.jpg

Solution
so, you can do check the following:

I can't tell from your pics, but make sure you have the transistors in the right locations since 3 is a 2n3906 while the other three are 2n3904

with the power on, do you hear a click from the relay when you press the footswitch? I suspect not since the relay does not seem to be working. you can use the schematic and your meter to see if the relay is getting any power applied to it during the switching. If you hear a click and the contacts in the relay are not changing, then you have a bad relay.

are you getting a connection from the footswitch when the button is pressed? if yes, then check to see if you are getting power sent to the relay when pressing the footswitch.
Ended up abandoning the relay bypass for a standard 3PDT, and the pedal works fine now.

Still interested in a basic sanity check...does this look basically correct, in terms of wiring and part orientation? It's such a simple build, I feel I must be missing something very basic. But it all looks good so I'm stumped

Orientation and wiring looks correct. I assume you double and triple checked that you had the input and output jacks plugged in the correct way around? I can't read resistor bands and don't know about the other parts whether they're correct.
The bypass board's IN and OUT pads (from the jacks) maintain continuity, regardless of the LED state. So while I don't actually know if the Copper Clad is functioning correctly, it's a moot point for now because the signal isn't even getting there.
Do you mean the input and output pads that come straight from the jacks? Technically I think those should have continuity if the pedal is working in either state, although the sound should change of course. Did you test the other pads, I think the "IN" from the jack should have continuity to the "IN" that goes to the PCB in one state, and should not have that in the other state. Although I guess it's somewhat moot now if you replaced it already, and harder to check how it works or what could be wrong.

Technically I think those should have continuity if the pedal is working in either state,

No, I meant the pedal was bypassed in both states. IN jack shorted directly to OUT jack, even as the LED changed on and off. There was never continuity between the IN jack and the Copper Clad board IN.

All the parts are correct including those not visible (caps/transistors/regulator).

Just wondered if anything was obviously wrong with the wiring or whatnot since nobody responded initially. Thanks for taking a look

so, you can do check the following:

I can't tell from your pics, but make sure you have the transistors in the right locations since 3 is a 2n3906 while the other three are 2n3904

with the power on, do you hear a click from the relay when you press the footswitch? I suspect not since the relay does not seem to be working. you can use the schematic and your meter to see if the relay is getting any power applied to it during the switching. If you hear a click and the contacts in the relay are not changing, then you have a bad relay.

are you getting a connection from the footswitch when the button is pressed? if yes, then check to see if you are getting power sent to the relay when pressing the footswitch.

Solution
make sure you have the transistors in the right locations since 3 is a 2n3906 while the other three are 2n3904

I thought I must be missing something obvious... in all honesty I have been misreading the build doc the ENTIRE time. From day one I thought it was just four 2n3904 transistors, completely missed that one was a 2n3906! And I'm not dyslexic (that I know of?)

I replaced the incorrect transistor, re-hooked up the relay bypass, and it WORKS. Thanks so much (y)🍻🎉

Back