Bass octaver preference

I absolutely totally remembered to do that shootout 😏😒😞

I should be home tomorrow or the next day, so I can do it then.
OctaRock, Divided Octave, U-Boat... Any other sub octaves I should add to the roster? Think the only ones I don't have built currently are the Lectric Downtown, Buzz or Meat Box clones, and the ZorgTaver.
So, I totally spaced that I'd sold my extra power supplies :ROFLMAO:

Gonna have to dismantle my board tomorrow for the shootout

Awwww — don't go to all that trouble for lil ol us. No worries. Dinna fash. Take it easy. Momen-tai-laaaa.

Do it. G'head.
Dismantle. Do it.
Do it. Do it, do it!

Awwww — don't go to all that trouble for lil ol us. No worries. Dinna fash. Take it easy. Momen-tai-laaaa.

Do it. G'head.
Dismantle. Do it.
Do it. Do it, do it!

Found an old 1Spot and a daisy chain (the background whine) and quickly whipped up this rather uninspired shootout. Left the Ocelot out for now, as the -1 isn't terribly different from the OctaRock, and it suffers much greater volume loss. Kept this one "clean" octaves to keep myself from getting overwhelmed

Need to refamiliarize myself with the subs that aren't the OctaRock or Divided Octave and I'll make a marginally better video

Last edited:
Inspiration-issues and technical glitches aside, it was an excellent comparison of the four.

Many will choose the one they think is best;
I would say amidst the overall similarities they each have their own thing going within the subtleties —
a Right-Tool-For-The-Job kind of thing, so I'm glad I have 3 out of the 4, but now must track down an U-Boot.

UBoot options include:
Vero — too big
Etching Merlin's layout — not adept at etching
THCustom — European PCB supplier, so overseas for me
EPK — another European PCB vendor.

Any PCB-supplier in N'America?

MANY thanks, @DGWVI, for taking the time to put that comparison-video together.
Oh, and excellent socks as always! Are we not men?

Many will choose the one they think is best;
I would say amidst the overall similarities they each have their own thing going within the subtleties —
a Right-Tool-For-The-Job kind of thing, so I'm glad I have 3 out of the 4, but now must track down an U-Boot.

UBoot options include:
Vero — too big
Etching Merlin's layout — not adept at etching
THCustom — European PCB supplier, so overseas for me
EPK — another European PCB vendor.

Any PCB-supplier in N'America?

Of these four, I'd still reach for the Octa or Divided first. For just the sub, I do like the U-Boat quite a bit, I just need to remember to dial the tracking in for the guitar I'm using- it doesn't make a huge sonic difference, but it does absolutely change how it responds to whatever's driving it.

As for PCB sourcing, I'd definitely go with THCustom as that's the one that's true to Merlin's design which is key if you want the cleaner sub. The EPK sounds great, but it's fairly dirty (in a pleasing way). There weren't any US suppliers last I looked, but that was months ago, and it seems like a new PCB designer is popping up every week now

Inspiration-issues and technical glitches aside, it was an excellent comparison of the four.

MANY thanks, @DGWVI, for taking the time to put that comparison-video together.
Oh, and excellent socks as always! Are we not men?

I'm happy to help out where ever I can on the forum, just haven't had the energy, inspiration, or time lately- I don't think I've picked up my iron for a build since June. I'm hoping that changes soon so I can get back to clogging the feed with matte black sand and white ink, adoration for the Rat circuit, and a bunch of circuit-bendy mods that no one asked for

Edit: just realized there's a comparison of the TH and EPK on the first page of this thread, and that it was asking for a BASS octaver 😅 ... I'll try to get my bass this week and do a proper demo at a more useful volume

Back