Best DC jacks and mounting procedure

How do you folks install your DC jacks? I have 1) these, 2) these and 3) these and have experimented with all of them, but I often/always seem to have trouble mounting them tightly or getting the hole the right size. The two internally mounted ones are difficult to tighten down, but the "outie" one also never looks that great either. I use locktite (and occasionally hot glue) to get everything snug, but I'm wondering if there are better practices to follow. I'm aware that most/all jacks are primarily plastic. I think the Lumberg style jacks are the best in terms of size and function, but I can never get these to install tightly or easily.

How do you folks install your DC jacks? I have 1) these, 2) these and 3) these and have experimented with all of them, but I often/always seem to have trouble mounting them tightly or getting the hole the right size. The two internally mounted ones are difficult to tighten down, but the "outie" one also never looks that great either. I use locktite (and occasionally hot glue) to get everything snug, but I'm wondering if there are better practices to follow. I'm aware that most/all jacks are primarily plastic. I think the Lumberg style jacks are the best in terms of size and function, but I can never get these to install tightly or easily.
I use these (2) exclusively

others have commented on potential questionable quality and reliability. i found these comments quite shocking - as i've have never had an issue with them. i wonder what's wrong with them?

some people also like to wrap telfon (plumbers tape) around the plastic threads to increase 'tightness' (as opposed to hot glue or other unsightly fixes)
i've never felt the need. i just thread the nut on and it's done.

I use the bigger ones just because I ordered a ton of them a long time ago, I do like the lumberg style tho.

For the outie ones, if there’s enough room, I use a nut on the inside too so it stays relatively flush.

I just want them to be secure and durable. I figure I don't care if they stick out because the 1/4" plugs are going to stick out more either way.

I also have not had any quality issues with those Tayda jacks. They are pretty soft though. I've bent a few with pliars.

My issue is I just can't get the nut to clamp down very tightly. I pour locktite or glue over it, and I guess that works well enough..?

My issue is I just can't get the nut to clamp down very tightly. I pour locktite or glue over it, and I guess that works well enough..?
perhaps you could try wrapping teflon tape around the thread, tightly, just a little bit so that you can still thread the nut on

What do you use to tighten them? I never had a problem with either the lumberg style or the regular innie ones from Tayda. I use my needle nose pliers to tighten. To me, as long as the nut doesn’t rattle, it’s tight enough. Haven’t had a problem so far but I’ll report if I do!

I use option #1 unless there isn't room, then I'll go lumberg.

The nuts are a pretty sloppy fit on the plastic threads, but I haven't had any problems with them coming loose. I think trying to over tighten those nuts might cause problems though, as it wouldn't take much to strip the plastic.

You mentioned trouble getting the hole size right. I wonder if that might be part of your problem. If the hole is big enough for the DC jack to wiggle side to side, those nuts aren't going to keep it steady.

I use one of these for all my drilling, and those DC jacks and footswitches both get step #12 - 15/32"

I too have had problems with wiggly jacks. I primarily use the small 2.1mm jacks. Unless I drill the hole too big. What I find causes the wiggle, is a hole that is slightly too large, and over tightening/striping. The best fix I have found recently is adding a lock washer. The split lock washer style. Sometimes called a spring washer.
I have 10 9v jacks that I bought years ago, that are ring tip sleeve. I don’t use batteries, I don’t know what I was thinking when I bought them. Each of them have a lock washer, that is the perfect size.
My last two trips to the hardware store I looked through the sizes they have, but nothing yet. I’ll visit a bigger store when I can, and report back.

Lock washers are key, specifically, serrated tooth. This will keep the nut from backing off of the enclosure and also prevent over tightening. No need for Loctite, hot glue, plumbers tape, etc.

The potentiometer lock washers available from Love My Switches will work with the Lumberg lower profile style jacks. If you’re looking to source elsewhere, size M7 or M8 should do it, just make sure they’re internal tooth with a 7.5-8.5mm internal diameter.

Last edited:
Back