Blu Tack vs Blue Painters Tape

I wouldn't have guessed Blue Tak could be used in electronics. It's mainly used to stick some reminders, pictures and posters on the walls around here.

When i need to keep the parts steady to solder them, i just press them against the back of the enclosure. I always take the height of the components into consideration when i populate the board, to make it easier.

I used to use some tape, but it leaves some adhesive residue on the pcb. Just pressing the pcb and the parts against a solid surface works for me.

I have Loctite Blu-Tack and it is the absolute worst. There must be a brand/type that doesn't leave THIS much residue...? I use painter's tape when I can, but I do find a small blob of putty really helpful. The cleanup is awful though.

Has anyone found a brand that leaves less (or no) putty on everything?

I used to use blue tak all of the time but now it's just for troublesome components that won't sit still. Even then I just rest the PCB and offending part on a big blob of blue pressing against the part and solder away. But mostly I just bend the legs to keep them in place but raise each one straightish as I solder it. Resting the PCB on the table, no tape or whatever. It all stays straight.

I think I have the generic crap and it's worked fine. I use the whole blob and works well for holding switches in position and assorted things like that. I've had the same blob for about 10 years or so.

I used to use blue tak all of the time but now it's just for troublesome components that won't sit still. Even then I just rest the PCB and offending part on a big blob of blue pressing against the part and solder away. But mostly I just bend the legs to keep them in place but raise each one straightish as I solder it. Resting the PCB on the table, no tape or whatever. It all stays straight.
I try to never bend the legs, but when I do, I always bend them in the direction of the trace. However, I find that all of the previously mentioned techniques work -- everything from just using a flat workbench to using blue tack to hold hard to stabilize parts in place. If I can get away with blue painter's tape, that's my first choice.

There are times where it's the best choice for temporarily securing components of different heights - I just wish a blob remained a blob and didn't slough off a bunch of little bits! I'll have to taste-test some different brands, looks like... 😋

I try to never bend the legs, but when I do, I always bend them in the direction of the trace.
I can’t imagine populating a board without pulling on and then bending the legs out at 45 degrees. Then, I clip them so only about 1/4 inch remains (much less heat sink, parts solder faster). The bend pulls the component lead against the copper, and also holds the part in place. Since I’m anal about alignment, I just solder one lead on each component, (which also gives them time to cool off between leads), flip the board and push everything into alignment, then come back and solder the other leads.

in about 50 years of soldering, never used tape or other sticky things to hold parts down. I do use clamps on occasion: clothes pins, slide locking tweezers (my favorite!), or small clip on heat sinks.

I bend the leads (also at 45°- ish), and use a Panavise with this head:

IMG_0253.jpeg
Easy to flip/reorient the PCB as needed.

Never had any serious issues with de-soldering bent leads either.

Yep, bent legs are really helpful in most situations - except when you're usin em as circuit tracks! I largely use resistor and cap legs as connectors on the backside of perfboard, but things have to stay in *just* the right position for a minute until I put at least a little solder on it. Blu-Tack really helps in that minute! Maybe it's a silly way to do things, but it's kind of zen to carefully bend and zigzag the component legs to connect elsewhere. Saves wire too!

Back