Boost Pedal master volume at output jack. Without loosing high frequencies while turning down!

nznat

Hello everyone.
I have a general boost pedal.
I want to add a volume / master volume control on the output jack, yet just adding A100K pot seems to take away some of the high frequencies, i.e. you loose treble (or brightness) while turning down the volume pot. I want to retain the treble / brightness even at lower volumes.
What circuit do you suggest i should use as a master volume at the output jack to remedy this. A pot on its own is not the answer, maybe a powered master volume control circuit or something similar ?

A curious situation.
Simple IC buffer?
What is the pedal/circuit? May be able to modify it easily ala pot in the feedback path if it's an IC boost. But, I would suspect that's already present.
Have to ask. Why not turn the boost down? I wouldn't suspect a "general boost" to be doing much, tone or harmonic wise, unless it's a Ge based boost or something.

A curious situation.
Simple IC buffer?
What is the pedal/circuit? May be able to modify it easily ala pot in the feedback path if it's an IC boost. But, I would suspect that's already present.
Have to ask. Why not turn the boost down? I wouldn't suspect a "general boost" to be doing much, tone or harmonic wise, unless it's a Ge based boost or something.
the pedals a high volage fet boost. unity with amp with this pedal is when boost is at zero. a master volume would allow to lower overall output and use the boost as a drive. it goes very loud as you turn up boost. needing an output master volume

Did you wire the pot you tried as a variable resistor?
Needs to be wired as a voltage divider between signal and ground (wiper is output)after output cap.
If you notice you are losing low-end, may need to vary the output cap. As the two will form a high pass.

Did you wire the pot you tried as a variable resistor?
Needs to be wired as a voltage divider between signal and ground (wiper is output)after output cap.
If you notice you are losing low-end, may need to vary the output cap. As the two will form a high pass.
yeah wiper is output. no low end lose, only high end treble, more treble lose the more you lower the dial

What's next in the signal chain?
How long of a cable?
A simple buffer after your pot would likely work just fine, though I'm not sure how well different buffers would play with the max output of your boost.
What circuit is the booster?
Again. If it has an output buffer already, you can probably inert a trim in the feedback path.

box-whatsinthebox.gif

What's next in the signal chain?
How long of a cable?
A simple buffer after your pot would likely work just fine, though I'm not sure how well different buffers would play with the max output of your boost.
What circuit is the booster?
Again. If it has an output buffer already, you can probably inert a trim in the feedback path.

View attachment 49377
If you want to test it with a buffer and don't have a dedicated one, take a non true bypass boss pedal and put it after it.

Another thing you can try is a treble bleed cap on the volume post- attach a low value cap to lugs 2 & 3 of the pot.
Start with 470p - 1n, and adjust to taste but keep it smaller in value

Another thing you can try is a treble bleed cap on the volume post- attach a low value cap to lugs 2 & 3 of the pot.
Start with 470p - 1n, and adjust to taste but keep it smaller in value
can you draw picture, not sure about where to put the caps? lugs?

That's input and output lugs btw.
Was hesitant to suggest as I've never seen it utilized on the output of a pedal.
Still curious what is after the pedal. If you're using a cheap/long cable at the output, the capacitance of the cable is also likely in play. Again. Would need to know what circuit it is though.

That's input and output lugs btw.
Was hesitant to suggest as I've never seen it utilized on the output of a pedal.
Still curious what is after the pedal. If you're using a cheap/long cable at the output, the capacitance of the cable is also likely in play. Again. Would need to know what circuit it is though.
my circuit is a fet boost running a buck voltage boost circuit at 132 volts, with a 3 band EQ and boost knob only at present.

Back