Boss Enclosure to PedalPCB designed PCB So Far!

music6000

This was a Boss Metal Zone that I stripped and modded for True Bypass switching which will be housing a PedalPCB designed Board.
Alpha 12mm Pots incoming from SmallBear
Due to PCB size & simplicity, I will be using the side mounted jacks, to be Continued!

Update: Last picture is PCB Mockup only!

Super 763 Pedal Enclosure Build 1.jpg Super 763 Pedal Enclosure Build 2.jpg
Super 763 Pedal Enclosure Build 3.jpg 1711501916713.png

Last edited:
I absolutely disagree. I do not like Boss enclosures.
In fact, choosing the location of the pots on flat enclosures is one of the benefits of building. Have you ever tried to turn those boss knobs with your toes?
Also, top mounted jacks save so much board real estate.
Have fun with the rehouse though. You do you. I am curious to see the outcome. And I like the 3pdt switch placement.

Umm, a blank Boss enclosure would not be predrilled. You can place jacks wherever you want. For better or for worse, the Boss design is actually a pedal, as opposed to a generic box with something sticking out. And the battery location is not an afterthought that requires removing 4 screws to get to.
Who uses batteries, you might ask? Clearly, some people, myself included.

Jtex, you are correct about the jack placement. I reacted quickly when you said the enclosure would be the dominate diy format.
I love the flat Hammonds.

Come to think of it, dominant was too strong a word. "Popular" would be more appropriate. Depending on price of course, as it would certainly have to cost more than a square box. English as a second language here...

This also doesn't seem to have the hinged pedal/battery compartment part, which I think misses much of the appeal of the form factor.

It was hinged and did have a battery compartment. Check out this old Reverb listing:

1711125128257.png

1711125154445.png

Oh, look at that! I'd totally buy some. The back wall should be a lot closer to vertical though. Look at that tortured jack!

KHDK puts an SMD diode (no electrical connection) on two of the corners of the jacks to tilt them against the slope of the back wall. The first time I saw it I thought it was a terrible PCB layout, until I realized what they were doing.

Was going to mention the Rixen, but Robert beat me to it.
I really liked the idea behind it, but there were still some issues with it — the main one being price.
Never did pull the trigger on a Rixen because of the cost, I just couldn't justify it.

I was a bit surprised when I compared a 1590N1 to a Boss-compact enclosure, very close to each other in size!
Alas, if only Boss could've foreseen the then future paradigm when it first released the compact series.
If Boss had only used TOP-JACKS, then the pedals would be damn near perfect.

Back