Bring out yer Diptrace

My first new design of 2024, more of my "sticking tubes where they don't need to be". I've had a few people suggest I take a swing at a 500 series preamp, so I took a swing at a 500 series preamp. This one is just a proof of concept, it's basically a simplified Nobelium to make sure I understand what I'm doing in 500 series world.

Screenshot 2024-01-10 135551.png

My first new design of 2024, more of my "sticking tubes where they don't need to be". I've had a few people suggest I take a swing at a 500 series preamp, so I took a swing at a 500 series preamp. This one is just a proof of concept, it's basically a simplified Nobelium to make sure I understand what I'm doing in 500 series world.

View attachment 65594
Oh shit I was literally going to do that

@vigilante398 I'd be happy to build and test a proto if you don't have a 500 series rack
I appreciate it, I scored a screaming deal on this a couple weeks ago, I'm all set :)

IMG20240110142838.jpg

I could send you a board to check out, but I would have to send you a D.I. transformer as this was designed for my house brand transformer Unagi, and the pinout doesn't directly line up with anything else. Input transformer is an OEP and all the other parts are easy enough to get, the Unagi is the only oddball.

I appreciate it, I scored a screaming deal on this a couple weeks ago, I'm all set :)

View attachment 65597

I could send you a board to check out, but I would have to send you a D.I. transformer as this was designed for my house brand transformer Unagi, and the pinout doesn't directly line up with anything else. Input transformer is an OEP and all the other parts are easy enough to get, the Unagi is the only oddball.
Have you thought about how to do the front face for the module? I've got some ideas. I've been planning some 500 series ideas for a bit

Have you thought about how to do the front face for the module? I've got some ideas. I've been planning some 500 series ideas for a bit
Yup, I have a 3D model of an enclosure and have quotes to get it machined. I've been doing fit checks with 3D printed parts, as soon as I get the PCB verified I'm planning to order a machined enclosure.

Faceplates are easy enough, I can do those on my CNC, but machining a full enclosure is a bit more involved than I want to do in my garage.

Yup, I have a 3D model of an enclosure and have quotes to get it machined. I've been doing fit checks with 3D printed parts, as soon as I get the PCB verified I'm planning to order a machined enclosure.

Faceplates are easy enough, I can do those on my CNC, but machining a full enclosure is a bit more involved than I want to do in my garage.
Ah you're gonna go for a full enclosure? I've got several modules that just have a front panel

View attachment 65594
You plan on doing any other 500 series preamp modules?… black eye? Or super Sonic dirt channel?… cough* cough *

You plan on doing any other 500 series preamp modules?… black eye? Or super Sonic dirt channel?… cough* cough *
The way I’m choosing to read it is that a Neve 1073 mic preamp is right around the corner 😁

albeit with a tube added, because reasons lol

I have zero interest in a mic pre at this point… but I think a DIY guitar rack system with a smaller footprint similar to the synergy stuff would be awesome.

I just looked at all that’s inside the Neve, and tbh I’d just get it or a prebuilt clone. I’m sure he could clone it tho if he chose to

I have zero interest in a mic pre at this point… but I think a DIY guitar rack system with a smaller footprint similar to the synergy stuff would be awesome.
That Synergy stuff looks interesting... I didn’t realize that existed, it’s like guitar racks 2.0 or something. Wild stuff!

That Synergy stuff looks interesting... I didn’t realize that existed, it’s like guitar racks 2.0 or something. Wild stuff!
Bruce Egnater design
Was first licensed to Randall as the MTS series, then Egnater released the first dual mods. Then licensed to Synergy.
Cool stuff. There were a few RM20s made that housed 20 modules in 10-12RU spaces.
There's also a few great modders out there, Salvation Audio being probably the biggest one.

Certainly not as a commercial product, but I am actually planning a Black Eye with a cabsim and a D.I. output as a one-shot solution for quick guitar recording because it's something I've personally always wanted. Probably won't be doing a lot of guitar-oriented stuff for 500 series though.

The way I’m choosing to read it is that a Neve 1073 mic preamp is right around the corner 😁

albeit with a tube added, because reasons lol
I am planning a couple mic preamps, but they will be original (tube) designs. There's enough Neve stuff out there, not planning on cloning anything.

Those look great @szukalski! As it turns out, I also have a gain changer in my current JLC cart and another one of dylan159’s designs, the Chewborg. Yours look great man!
I have a Chewborg in SMD from six months ago which I’m not happy with and will redo in through hole. It’s a tricky one for clean routing and the 7th control makes it awkward to find a nice 125B layout. I’m tempted to make it 1590BB combo with the PLLedal.

First time making a full 3D model of a board. Adaptation of @Chuck D. Bones mosfet drive/Cowpoker to get back in the swing of layout/jlcpcb production as I lead up to having a shop. Got the prototypes in and they work just fine, what a sweet drive pedal. Also got some relay bypass and Buzzaround boards (again based off Chuck’s schematic) in that I put a switch on to control the output buffer stage. Was very pleased all the boards worked after not doing anything like this for a year plus!

IMG_5733.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom